forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XREG3 registry read problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayDee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:30 am    Post subject: XREG3 registry read problem Reply with quote

Hi guys,

After getting an 'undeliverable' error when sending my question to Ralph Ludwig (developer of XREG3.DLL), I decided to post it here in order to get some info. I'm wondering if you can help me with this one...

Purpose of the tool I wrote is to read the content of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\CurrentVersion,DevicePath, check if a specified path is in this string and then add or delete it.

This certain registry type is STRING_EXPAND_SZ, so it can't be read by VDS3.5 (which was why I use XREG3.DLL instead).

Now, I've found that the information that is returned from the registry read operation sometimes is altered, mainly when multiple signs like '%' or ';' are used.

Example:
If my registry contains: %systemroot%;%systemroot%\inf

...and I use this code to read the value:
XREG read
%%RegContent = @XREG(HLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,DevicePath)

...%%RegContent contains: %systemroot%;%systemroot%\infy (notice the y at the end).

If I would write this registry key back to the registry, it would contain incorrect information.

Did anyone of you see this problem or has a solution for it? Is there an alternative to XREG3.DLL, which can also read and write to REG_EXPAND_SZ registry types (or can do more operations in the registry)?

Thanks for your help.
JayDee
CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is some regularity in the error eg.
It always puts a y at end for a given string and z at begining for some other then you can check for these characters using @substr function and deleting off the extraneous character however if it's random then .. I don't know. May be some one has a better idea.

JayDee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The character is not always added, and it's not always a y. It can be other characters aswell. So if I don't know the content of the registry key (which is the case in 99%), I can't predict or test if a certain character was added or not.

Regards,
JayDee
Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try Tommys vdsdll.dll (version 3) . belive it registry read and write commands and functions. That work with vds3 & vds 4

Nathan
JayDee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nathan,

Yes, this was the one I was looking for. I didn't realize that these registry functions were included in VDSDLL Smile

Thanks for the help!

JayDee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: