forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ability to fire a event in VDS script
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
I agree with what Jules says. Also I know first hand that Window's Messaging is a little flaky anyway. Actually after reading everything I have come to the conclusion that these threads should be posted to the DLL Developer's Forum for the simple fact that this is an advanced programming topic and the DLL Developer Forum would be better suited for this. Maybe we can change the name of the DLL Developer forum to Advanced VDS development or make a 3rd forum for these subjects.
CodeScript my best suggestion to you is for you to learn how to build a VDS DLL or build a regular DLL that does what you want. That is why those options were built into VDS so the advanced users could expand VDS in the directions we need it to go. VDS should stay simple even if that means that you have to build a DLL with lots of extra symantics. I had to learn that lesson with my Gadget DLL. It was too close to VB syntax and I forgot that the reason that most VDS users come to VDS is because the syntax of other languages are not self explanatory so that is why I re-built Gadget and simplified it's syntax. EDITED Also CodeScript Gadget is there for the advanced user {Shameless plug here} Wink I knew from the begining of the development of Gadget that it would be for the advance user to give that user the abilities needed to tie VDS into other languages (ie...C/C++, Delphi, VB). This way users such as yourself would not need to build a VDS DLL for every third party DLL out there. That is not to say you have to use Gadget but it does have the tools your asking for already. /EDITED
CodeScript as for CR not hearing your bug reports from this forum well that is not true. I report these things when I see them directly to the owners of CR. Not that I am a bug cop because I am not online all the time and I cannot read every post but there are others that do the same. As for there not being another forum there is but it has not been re-opened yet. Well in the past CR (at the time SADE) had a message forum for registered users at http://www.dailogscript.com and I am pretty sure they will do this again. Also there is VDS'es live support site that you can use to notify CR of bugs. While that is not the proper place to post future features you would like to see in VDS it is a good place to post about bugs because the full conversation gets logged. The address for the Live support site is http://www.dialogscript.com/onlinesup.html there is also a link to this site in the help menu of VDS 5 titled "Visual DialogScript Online Support". There is usually someone online that can help you.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CodeScript wrote:
The only thing that had upset me was me thinking advanced features added only for private use by CR and also the fact that no other developer or CR person is invloved in hearing to any users grievances or anything (I know you are not "from Commercial Research.").
I don't think that there is any other forum either where they do so. So I have serious doubts as to whether reporting bugs etc here is just for crisis relief kinda thing than anything else.

No, anyone can use the advanced features. It's just that Commercial Research aren't going to give free technical support to people trying to get APIs working. If you pay for premium support, presumably they would do. But I guess you wouldn't need that support anyway. Wink

As far as reporting of bugs goes, theoretically they should tell me what bugs to fix. In fact, I found out about most bugs by reading this forum, so please keep on reporting them.

FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules wrote:
VDS has always been intended to be an easy to use programming language for people who don't know much about programming, and API programming is, by definition, not that. The concern is that some potential users might come to this site, read about all this API stuff, and go away thinking "VDS is much too hard", not realising that they never need to use it.

Well I have a splendid idea. Actually the whole idea of the developers'
forum was to keep advanced programming topics there, and it could be
modified to suit more advanced topics.

Here's what I think: VDS should continue to add in and develop the advanced
features, but not document them in the regular users' manual. There should
be a separate manual with these advanced features documented.

Also with the upcoming version of phpBB forum software, I will completely
re-do the developers forum area and make two main categories: DLL programming
and API programming. All topics dealing with these should be consolidated
to this area. Really if you want to keep the image of VDS being simple here
then why didn't you just say so? Confused VDSWORLD is happy to work with
CR because this is what VDSWORLD is all about: VDS. Smile

Everybody stop and take a look around you: everything you see here has
to do with VDS, there's about 250 - 300 MB of files having to do with VDS
here, etc... the reason there is even a VDSWORLD is to keep the VDS
community alive and happy. Everything is VDS from the domain to the
graphics to the programs.

But I think that my above ideas should really be considered because I think
we would be able to keep most starting users away from the advanced
stuff until they're ready/want to learn it. Smile

FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Shocked Mindpower stole my splendid idea already Wink

I'll fix the DLL developer forum up soon. Smile

Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ff,

i like the idea of posting api content separately ie not at the vds site for the reason you mentioned...are you looking at one forum for dll and api content or 2 separate ones? i would prefer 2 separate ones because the developer's forum, to me, is for dll development which the api thingy is not...

serge

Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serge,
I think that the 2 need to be the same site. I was thinking about a single site that it's main topic would be advanced VDS programming. DLL development should be a part of it so you would not get the cross posts that we are getting now. The big problem is because we have always just come to this forum and old habits die hard. It is very hard to disscuss these topics here because when we do we have to keep things simple for the Newbies and we cannot disscuss things on the advanced level. I was going to byte the bit and put in a forum on my website but then I thought why split the trafic and confuse people. So for confussion's sake I say make a single site for advanced VDS programming topics.
You know I never thought I would ever be able to say "advanced VDS programming"! Wink

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair enough mindpower...perhaps it could be named, as you suggested, "advanced vds programming forum" instead of "dll developer forum"

serge

Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaming the DLL developers forum to "advanced VDS programming" is definitely a good idea but for the inconvenience of checking two forums.

Is it a bad idea to have a seperate section on "API and advanced vds programming" topics on this forum itself and new post checking will check only the other areas for a user unless he specifically selects that option in his profile manually. Also this section will not show up unless user signs up and enables it (i.e. Not for guests else they may be driven off VDS). I don't know what complications it will bring in when it comes to "searching the forum" although again I think it may be possible that user include a check to get results fom advanced section or something. I don't know if phpBB allows that.

My thinking basis is it becomes difficult at times to make a watertight compartment like thing. Say a member relatively new wants to post some question regarding API then he will have to sign up at another forum which may cause some inconvenience and he may just leave it at that.
If it's a single forum then moderator can "move the topic" if required to advanced section. Also the number of posts in this section will be miniscule considering the already small vds community. So it may ease the work of moderators also in the long run.

The risk that a newbie stumbles across this area is slightly higher but I think a nearly similar risk exists if there is direct link to another forum from this forum as a newbie usually explores things.

Just a thought. Idea

But in toto I do agree that a different forum is a bit more safer and easier to establish.

FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should wait until the release of phpBB 2.2 because it has I think
exactly what we are looking for: subforums. Meaning, you could click on
a forum called "Advanced Programming" or "Optional Programming" or
whatever you want to call it. Check out the new forums if you want at:

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB22/

It's a over half done. Smile

CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF
I just checked that link looks cool. Cool
IMHO this (subforum) makes a lot of sense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Wish List All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: