forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CD Burning Functionality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: CD Burning Functionality Reply with quote

I'd gladly pay for an extension or VDS functionality to burn CDs. This would
be extremely useful and I'm sure a lot of other people would be interested
too. Smile

PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked into it and there are components but it would be alot of work to do. I wouldn't even attempt to create something like this without a component. A dll like this would be quite expensive to make because of the enormous amount of time required. Also I'm really not sure how standard and well it would work with the numerous cdr/cdrw drives available.

I'm not certain but I think SADE was in the process or had already built a cdr/cdrw dll that they are using internally. Again I can't remember if the dll was already built or they were planning on it.
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not certain but I think SADE was in the process or had already built a cdr/cdrw dll that they are using internally. Again I can't remember if the dll was already built or they were planning on it.

They were, and I wrote it. They also paid quite a lot of money to license an expensive Delphi component that was used tp create it. I seem to recall the problem was that the licensing terms did not allow the component to be distributed as what is effectively another component. It could only be distributed with an application. So presumably the developer would have wanted to be paid 600 bucks or whatever it was for each copy sold of the extension that was created using it.

I don't know what happened to it in the end, as after I finished it I never had anything more to do with it.

Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there was a topic about this on the forum already, but the forum's search function can't find it... Confused
CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XP has built in CD buring support but you cannot/are not licensed to use it in design mode.
Nero API is I think the most practical way as most of the CD writers are bundled with it. I looked into it and did a trial run too(very crude). It takes a *lot* of work and you encounter problems of recursion, call back etc working in pure VDS + API Sad
If you have something like Roxio's direct CD - UDF with shell support then you can send files to your drive using shell commands as if it were a floppy or something. Though this is the easiest it is not the best one as many people would not like this format due to various reasons.
IMHO Another major problem with third party Units/classes is the licensing terms they have and also the support for various CD writing hardware(as PGWARE already said) which drives anyone crazy but for a comapny entirely dedicated to CD writing software.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Wish List All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: