forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VDSTCP50 DLL Bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: VDSTCP50 DLL Bug Reply with quote

I have found a bug in VDSTCP50 that makes it unsuitable for large data transfers. I have included a screenshot so you can see what im talking about.

First of all let me say that I have had a ticket open with the folks at dialogscript in the registered users area since November and have not received any response in regards to what is causing this. They keep telling me to email this and that and I have done that. I find that while this language is great for rapid development the support sucks. I cant believe that they get away with the horror stories but what the hell do they care as they already made a couple hundred off of me and my staff in licensing their products and extensions. Im highly irritated at the moment with this issue. If anybody knows any way in which I can actually get some support for VDS let me know.

HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED

WD

SLC now available for Linux...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnarlingSheep
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VDS Support is like you providing support for a program I wrote completly and you probably haven't even seen the source code for. It just doesn't work.

If you let us know what you are doing, we may be able to give you another option.

webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Information Reply with quote

Basically what im doing with VDSTCP50 is this.

I start a listener for incoming syslog message on UDP port 514. I then encrypt the incoming messages and send them out to another host using TCP communications also in VDSTCP50 for processing. The problem is that I cant repeat the problem. Sometimes this thing runs for 20 hours, other times 20 minutes before it crashes. There is no rhyme nor reason to what is going on only that it crashes. I am not sure what is causing it and it is definitely a bug in VDSTCP. Sorry I cant provide much more information than that at this time only that its receiving a UDP message and then resending the incoming message out TCP.

WD

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WidgetCoder
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experienced similar problems with VDSTCP my solution was simply switching to the VDSIPP.DLL (it's free to use and comes w/source code what more could your ask for).
webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Possible Solution Reply with quote

I may actually switch back to vdsipp. I was using it before and it worked fine. I guess free is better than paying for it in this case. I figured though if I paid for it I would at best get minimal support. Goes to show sometimes user supported products are better than their commercial equivelant products. Thanks.

WD

WidgetCoder
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least with VDSIPP.DLL there's source code provided so you can actually troubleshoot any problems provided you have Delphi and Indy installed on your system. It sounds like you may be building a project that's fairly similar to one I just completed for a client. I used VDSIPP to create thin clients which send encrypted data to a server also built with VDSIPP to control a keypad entry access system. The server communicates to access panels on a 486 loop via a Lantronix device allowing the thin clients to add/remove users remotely over the internet. The client has offices in several cities and required a means of central control but also wanted the ability to remotely modify the user PIN database. Unfortunately the equipment manufacturer "Northern Computers (Honeywell)" offers a somewhat less than adequate software solution.

To make a long story short I built the system quickly in VDS just so they would have something to use until I could port it over into Delphi. But the client was impressed enough with the VDS version that there was no need for any further development. That system has been running non-stop for months now without any reported problems. So yes VDSIPP is quite stable! PGware has done an awesome job.
webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Gotta Love the Support from DialogScript...LOL Reply with quote

Its been months and months and no response from the DialogScript folks. I think I learned my lesson. I trust the open DLLs more than the closed ones now and have ported the entire application over to VDSIPP which is better since it threads by default (which is nice). Anyway thanks for letting me rant. I just hope that they begin to realize that value of supporting their clients. I consider VDS a RAD application language. If I need something more powerful I'll use something more suited and that will be the last DLL that I buy from Commercial Research. I believe they know what is causing the problem but have not even taken the time to respond update me with their status.

Below is an archive of the "PRIORITY" support from the site.
Created the 14/11/2005

Product: VDSTCP50

Ticket status: Open (close this ticket)

Posted: 14/11/2005

Im writing to request some assistance with the VDSTCP50 extension. When using the extension one of my applications frequently exits with an error. Exception EOutOfMemory in module vdstcp50.dll at 000020F5. Can you tell me what is wrong here? I doubt very seriously that im out of memory because I have 2Gig of memory on this system and this single script is the only one that does it. Basically in the script im listening with VDSTCP50 for incoming udp messages (syslog) and then im sending them out on a different TCP port to another application. There are a large number of messages upward of 20000 per minute or so. Is there any way to fix this?
Posted: 23/11/2005

Hello,

After reviewing your problem, I need more information: System version, kind of processor etc...

For information, having 2gb ram could also be a problem sometimes. Wink

Also I need more infos as with up tgo 20000 messages per minute, and considering that the vdstcp isn't multi thread (at least your script isn't) it could be also a possible start to find out the reason of your problem.

Posted: 24/11/2005

This same issue occurs on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003. The Windows 2000 system has 512MB of RAM and is a 733MHz machine. The Windows XP system has 2GB of RAM and is a 2.4GHz machine and the Windows 2003 system has 1GB of RAM and the message is the same on all platforms. Basically im using VDSIPP to receive incoming UDP messages, when a message is received it is sent out to a VDSTCP50 application using the VDSTCP50 dll to communicate with another application over the network that is also running VDSTCP50 to receive the TCP messages.

Below is the script. I tried cutting and pasting the script but I get a webpage that says NO with no error messages.

Also if you want to see the script provide an email address where I can mail it to. I cannot post it here.

Hello,

You can send the script at visual@dialogscript.com

I'll take a deep look at it.

Cordially

Posted: 17/12/2005

Emailed to you. Let me know if you have any questions.

Posted: 03/01/2006

I was checking to see if you have figured out what is causing this yet. I supplied the code and information.
Posted: 13/01/2006

Still no response. Are you guys actively looking into this? Please advise by emailing kevin@isptoolz.com. Thank you.
Posted: 16/01/2006

Hello,

I'm still looking at your script.

However I've been sick recently and still am! Sad

As I was the one in charge with your message I took some late.

I'll write you back very soon.

Thanks for your patience.

Posted: 09/03/2006

Are you still sick? Can you give me an update. I have already released 2 more versions of this software and the new version is still running into the same issues as before even though the application is coded correctly. I have even had 2 other VDS programmers look at this to no avail. Please advise.

WOW!!! tick tock tick tock as the months and months go by...

Love the product. Support sucks.

PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sending out that number of messages definately can pose a problem. I think even VDSIPP will crash eventually with that number of messages being received/sent so soon. The memory buffers will definately be used up very fast on that many messages.

As to CR, the person in charge of support was recently sick and had to be hospitalized for around a month Sad , and still is having some problems.

I definately can understand your recluctance and need for a quick turnaround on problems though.

VDSIPP may work, give it a try and see if it will solve your issues, but again that many messages at once probably will cause problems in vdsipp too. Note also that VDSIPP originally was a shareware product, and only recently became completely freeware Smile Free is good, but so is shareware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: