forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Bug with Repeat Until and While Wend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Bug Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject: Possible Bug with Repeat Until and While Wend Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am not sure if this is a bug that has been reported before. I have a simple script that just adds numbers to a list. Itermitantly I keep getting runtime error 33 Unhandled Exception "%s". Has anyone else experienced this with simple loops to add numbers?

Code:
List create,3
%%cnt = 0
%%count = 250000
%%StartTime = @datetime()

Repeat
  list add,3,%%cnt
  %%cnt = @Succ(%%cnt)
Until @Equal(%%cnt,%%count)

%%StopTime = @datetime()
List clear,3
Info @datetime(nn:ss,@fsub(%%StopTime,%%StartTime))@CR()Start = @datetime(t,%%StartTime)@CR()Stop = @datetime(t,%%StopTime)

Exit

I have attached a screen shot which shows the error with Task Manager with the offending script Exe at the top of the processes list. I have seen this issue with VDS scripts that loop through large Lists of 100,000 items++. Which prompted me to write a Tree command and function but now I don't think it is the List command that is directly causing this problem. I think it is simply the Repeat Until and While Wend loops mixed with the VDS List command. Anyway I would love to read what others experiences are with this because it is just driving me crazy.

loop_errors.jpg
 Description:
Screen Shot of error. Note the Memory usage and Page Faults?
 Filesize:  160.09 KB
 Viewed:  1840 Time(s)

loop_errors.jpg

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WidgetCoder
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem there is a limit on the number of items in a list other than available mem. Using your script I found that limit on my machine was 231,585 items. Note: if you clear the list within the loop no error occures.

Regards,

Bill
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonsphere,

i experimented with %A = @sendmsg(@win(~LIST2),$01A8,... and it worked a treat to work with really huge lists, as long as you have the ram Smile

here is the stuff from the api manual

Quote:
LB_INITSTORAGE

Windows = (Windows NT, Windows 95, Windows 9Cool

wParam = (WPARAM) cItems; // number of items to add

lParam = (LPARAM) cb; // amount of memory to allocate, in bytes

Message ID = $01A8

Description: Allocates memory for storing list box items. An application sends this message before adding a large number of items to a list box. This message helps speed up the initialization of list boxes that have a large number of items (more than 100). It preallocates the specified amount of memory so that subsequent LB_ADDSTRING, LB_INSERTSTRING, LB_DIR, and LB_ADDFILE messages take the shortest possible time. You can use estimates for the cItems and cb parameters. If you overestimate, some extra memory is allocated; if you underestimate, the normal allocation is used for items that exceed the preallocated amount.

Parameters

WPARAM CITEMS VALUES

Value of wParam. Specifies the number of items to add.

LPARAM CB VALUES

Value of lParam. Specifies the amount of memory to allocate for item strings, in bytes.

Return Value: The return value is the maximum number of items that the memory object can store before another memory reallocation is needed, if successful.

Sample Source Code

title TEST
DIALOG CREATE,TEST,-1,0,209,237
DIALOG ADD,BUTTON,BUTTON1,192,66,,,,DEFAULT
DIALOG ADD,LIST,LIST1,10,10
DIALOG SHOW
:evloop
wait event
goto @event()
:BUTTON1BUTTON
%A = @sendmsg(@win(~LIST1),$01A8,110,90000)
warn %A
rem Allocates 90,000 bytes of memory to add 110 items
goto evloop
:CLOSE
exit

See also:

CB_INITSTORAGE

from memory i could get more than 200,000 items into a list

serge

Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
Thanks for your replies but the issue is not getting items in the list here. Sometimes the script above works and sometimes it does not. The real issue here is using a Repeat/Until loop or While/Wend loop with a high number of iterations while using the List commands.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand what you are saying and i stick with my api suggestion as it will allow you to extend the upper number of items your list can contain + it will allow you to set the amount of memory you want to reserve so the list can contain all the items you want to add

one problem though, it won't work with 3 as a list ... i suggest that you create a list element on your gui eg. list3, hidden under another element, and use that as your list ... then the api above will help you add as many items as your ram will allow

serge

Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonsphere,

You're absolutely correct the error only occurs while creating large list within a repeat or while loop. I experimented with the following Label/Goto loop and found no errors.

Code:

List create,3
  %%cnt = 0
  %%count = 250000
  %%StartTime = @datetime()

:TestLoop
  list add,3,%%cnt
  %%cnt = @Succ(%%cnt)
  if @unequal(%%cnt,%%count)
    goto TestLoop
  end
  %%StopTime = @datetime()
  Info @datetime(nn:ss,@fsub(%%StopTime,%%StartTime))
  list close,3
  exit

Bill
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serge wrote:
i understand what you are saying and i stick with my api suggestion as it will allow you to extend the upper number of items your list can contain + it will allow you to set the amount of memory you want to reserve so the list can contain all the items you want to add

one problem though, it won't work with 3 as a list ... i suggest that you create a list element on your gui eg. list3, hidden under another element, and use that as your list ... then the api above will help you add as many items as your ram will allow

serge

Serge,
Ummm this is a fairly good work around and I guess if your program has a GUI this will work with no issue but when the VDS repeat and while combined with the list command works like it is supposed to it is much faster and does not require the overhead of a GUI interface. I need to go through 1 list over and over again that has over 260,000 items while matching text from that list with another list that is about 100,000 items. Normally I would just use a database for this kind of thing and I have actually suggested using a database to others in the past, however to perform the Join's and relations would be a nightmare in SQL since it is not just a simple query. Basicly I have to take a table and flip it sideways save one column from the table and add it to the flipped table then output the whole table as a tab delimited text file so my performance program Mercury LoadRunner can use it.
When VDS works it can do it with no trouble and fairly fast I might add but I kepted getting this error and wanted to make Jules and CR aware of it so they can fix it before VDS 6 is released while also letting others know that it exists.

BTW that is 260,000 items in each column and the tables have about 5 to 6 columns. I had to resort to using the @Text() function and parsing the whole thing looking for @CR()'s which is surprisingly Surprised much faster still.

Give VDS a new purpose!
Dr. Dread
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped using VDS lists going above 100,000 items a long time ago. I use VDS quite a lot for processing
large flat-file databases. But for big lists VDS just isn't reliable. So String.DLL does the job for me now.

For that type of process String.DLL has a MatchLines function - for large lists it will be several times faster
processing the entire file than just loading the same file into a VDS list.

Greetz
Dread

String.DLL * advanced string processing
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonshere,

following your last post, i was going to suggest you check out string.dll but dr. dread beat me to it Smile

serge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Bug Reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: