forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is there not a way to prevent SPAM attacks on this forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arcray wrote:
Ah, I wondered who bbprotection were. For some time over the holidays I could not access VDSWORLD at all! I keep getting a message that I had been barred from accessing the site as I was a spammer or something like that...

I am in Indonesia at the moment, and this co-incided with the general slow-down we had here because of the Taiwan earthquake.

But still I was annoyed a legitamate user was barred!

Don't feel bad Andy I am an Admin on this site and my messages was being barred too. Wink I had to get help from Prakash to get my issue fixed.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

You were not blocked intentionally. The bbprotection scripts are still in beta and there are some issues that had caused legit users to be blocked. Most of those problems were worked out by Vic and the team at bbprotection. Thats one of the problems with all antispam technologies, sometimes false positives cause valid messages to get blocked.
vtol
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Yeah I was blocked out over the holidays too, I thought VDS didnt want my pesty self around any more for a minute, hehe.

Then I started thinking maybe they are updating the forum while they had time during holidays, and the next day I was able to log on Cool

We take for granted what we have sometimes, would have be sad to still be seeing that frightning bb dark green screen wondering if the forum was ever gonna return - ouch Crying or Very sad
arcray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting loads of them although they are being deleted after a while!

andrewrcgray.com
Vic D'Elfant
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's getting more and more annoying by the day. We're slowly but surely progressing with bbProtection... we don't want to rush things Smile
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read the How It Works on the bbProtection site. If your server is going to be contacted every time anyone registers or posts on a board, you are going to need a huge server if your system gets popular with forum owners. How is this infrastructure going to be paid for?

I have one SMF forum and the latest version requires a captcha to be entered on registration. That seems to be keeping the b*****rds out. Before that I had a mod that rejected any posts containing web addresses from newbies with fewer than 10 postings.

vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules wrote:
I have one SMF forum and the latest version requires a captcha to be entered on registration. That seems to be keeping the b*****rds out. Before that I had a mod that rejected any posts containing web addresses from newbies with fewer than 10 postings.

Jules,
The problem with captcha is that spam companies are paying humanoid life forms to fill out the registration forms and then once registered a script is ran using that spam user's creds.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vic D'Elfant
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you probably noticed, bbProtection is back enabled. Official beta testing will probably start in the next couple of days, so if you have some boards out there that are being flooded by spammers... get ready to sign up for an account once we make the client available to the public Mr. Green

Statistics for this board show that 59% of the registrations/posts are coming from spammers (and are blocked).

jules wrote:
I just read the How It Works on the bbProtection site. If your server is going to be contacted every time anyone registers or posts on a board, you are going to need a huge server if your system gets popular with forum owners. How is this infrastructure going to be paid for?

We are currently negotiating with various parties to find a proper solution for that; that's why we have limited the beta release to a given number of boards. We'll see what future will bring to us.

dragonsphere wrote:
Jules,
The problem with captcha is that spam companies are paying humanoid life forms to fill out the registration forms and then once registered a script is ran using that spam user's creds.

Indeed. I've seen offers of companies that were willing to way someone $0.70 for each captcha they solved.

Hooligan
VDS Developer
VDS Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife noticed that I haven't been cussing at the computer as much, lately... Good job!

Hooligan

Why be normal?
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic wrote:

jules wrote:

We are currently negotiating with various parties to find a proper solution for that; that's why we have limited the beta release to a given number of boards. We'll see what future will bring to us.

I'd say you should create a system like the DNS system, so you can use multiple root servers for "resolving" IP addresses and to identify possible spammers, thus dividing the network load per server... Smile Or you might consider a little pause time before a post actually gets visible on a forum, so that multiple request from the forum (if multiple people have posted messages) can be send at once, eliminating the matter of having to do a request to your bbProtection servers for every single post... Smile

arcray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic

Comment witdrawn and re-sent using Personal Mail

Andy

andrewrcgray.com

Last edited by arcray on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:00 am; edited 1 time in total
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic,
Actually I don't see any laws being broke as far as your avatar is concerned.

Everyone else,
Also I think that this kind of questioning should be via PM or personal email and not on the forum.

Also if anyone wants a wall paper of the peanuts characters go check this out http://www.snoopy.com/comics/peanuts/fun_and_games/wallpaper.html

Give VDS a new purpose!
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic, I found a little bug after deleting a user. It seems that in the forum's main index, there still is a link to the post which also got deleted. The spammer posted a reply to a post of CodeScript.

The (wrong) link at the main index:

http://forum.vdsworld.com/viewtopic.php?p=31473#31473

The link to the original topic:

http://forum.vdsworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=1766

noposter.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.47 KB
 Viewed:  26524 Time(s)

noposter.png

Vic D'Elfant
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skit3000 wrote:
I'd say you should create a system like the DNS system, so you can use multiple root servers for "resolving" IP addresses and to identify possible spammers, thus dividing the network load per server... Smile

We originally planned to go the DNS way, but decided to drop that idea shortly thereafter. Currently, we are running close to 100 tests on the data we receive from a board, which results in the final "thumbs up" or "thumbs down". Using a DNS blacklisting system would only work for IP addresses, email domains and maybe website URLs, but it is impossible to have the sophisticated tests like we do now Smile

arcray, judged on dragonsphere's comment, I guess your complaint was about the Woodstock avatar? If so, I don't think they would mind. I'm using it only as my avatar and I'm not claiming that it's my own work. If they would've cared about it, I should have received a "cease and desist" letter long ago. Either way, I don't think this topic is the appropriate place to discuss such issues (but I haven't received a PM either).

Skit3000, I'll look into that bug you reported... Looks like I missed a sync() call somewhere Smile

arcray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting spam again!

http://www.vdsworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4308

andrewrcgray.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: