forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Purchase VDS 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerryDee wrote:
Hi Jules,

If I did understand well, it is something like Alloy? Once I bought it.
Now - for a long time - I use "inno setup"

No. UPX just makes EXE files smaller. Alloy, if I understand it, was a tool that combined the EXE and runtime DLL into a single file. Inno is something else again, it makes a setup program to install your program and any files it needs on another computer. So they all do different jobs, but Alloy is probably redundant now that VDS 6 can build EXEs with integrated runtimes.

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtol wrote:
Do I need the Internet Suite?

The Internet Suite is a small DLL that provides basic TCP/IP functions, plus a set of DSUs that implement protocols like FTP, POP3 and SMTP. It's quite robust and I used it in a number of programs, but its concept of implementing the protocols in VDS code limits its capabilities somewhat, and it can only handle one TCP port at a time (plus a separate data port to allow FTP to work.)

If you need Internet connectivity then you might take a look at the extension written but no longer supported by Prakash, which I believe is based on one of the Delphi Internet components.

Bear in mind that in VDS 6 you can access web URLs similar to files, so you can do:

Code:
list loadfile,%x,http://mysite.com/updatedb.php?query=blah

and get back a response echoed from your php script, or you can do

Code:
file copy,http://mysite.com/download.zip C:\Temp\download.zip

which avoids the need for an external internet component in many applications.

vtol
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for all that good information.

So I might consider buying the Internet Suite because I'm interesting in its up to date browser that comes with it possibly?

Thanks again...

Last edited by vtol on Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules is right. Alloy will 'integrate' the vds runtime into the exe, UPX simply makes the exe smaller and Innosetup makes an installer program. All have different tasks. However with VDS 6 you now can have direct integrated exe's so Alloy is not necessarily needed - unless you wish to pack in other dll's or files into your exe as well.

The internet suite by CR is a pretty nice package, but I believe it does not support threading and multiple connections. However it is much more compact and it offers native vds support of protocols. The VDSIPP extension I released has built in protocol support for http, tcp, udp, ftp, pop3, smtp3 and many others including running server protocols, it also supports threading which allows your program to continue operation without having to wait for a download to finish - allowing you to show a progress bar, or stop the download, etc - also it supports multiple connections of the same protocols - so you can have hundreds of http downloads going at the same time. The extension is now free but is no longer supported; it is open source so anyone can modify it - it's a limited port of the Indy delphi components. The CR internet suite is fully supported and is not free. There's pluses and minuses to both internet extensions. But many of these simple tasks of downloading a file can now be accomplished as Jules noted by using file commands in VDS 6 which has built in (free) support for limited internet downloading of files.
vtol
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly interested in the browser part, and also would love to have a newer FLASH browser, guess I'm just dreaming a little Cool
JerryDee
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Jules and thank you, Prakash !

Jerry
vtol
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about how long it takes to get the full version after you pay?
trapper
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtol wrote:
I was curious about how long it takes to get the full version after you pay?

From dialogscript.com....

After registration you'll receive a full package including your license key. This can take up to 2 business days

Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtol wrote:
I'm mostly interested in the browser part, and also would love to have a newer FLASH browser, guess I'm just dreaming a little Cool

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but, I believe the browser extention is part of VDS 6 Standard.
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtol wrote:
So I might consider buying the Internet Suite because I'm interesting in its up to date browser that comes with it possibly?

The browser element in VDS 5 was part of the standard VDS. I presume that is true of VDS 6 also. There is not actually a lot of difference between the two versions of the browser elements apart from the removal of the version check that caused it to fail on some systems. In fact I may even have removed that from the VDSBRW50.DLL that ships with VDS 6 - it's so long ago when I worked on it that I cant remember. The VDS 5 version didn't cope well with having multiple browser elements in one program, the VDS 6 version does.

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trapper wrote:
From dialogscript.com....

After registration you'll receive a full package including your license key. This can take up to 2 business days

It's a pity they couldn't have automated delivery that so buyers get an instant download link. In my experience of selling software some people start to get antsy now if they don't get what they paid for within two minutes. And if it's my site they bought it through I get the complaints.

arcray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a pity they couldn't have automated delivery that so buyers get an instant download link. In my experience of selling software some people start to get antsy now if they don't get what they paid for within two minutes. And if it's my site they bought it through I get the complaints.

I agree! It is lunacy otherwise!

andrewrcgray.com
ed1
Commercial Research
Commercial Research

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly, if I do that, I know perfectly that I'll have a full VDS listed at a crack site in a few days...

Indeed, 2co, as the most payment processor, cancel "on the fly" any sale on the buyer request...

Also, they mark some sales as fraudulent in sometimes 3 days...

I had some like that past year.

And finally, I remember the VDS 5 release: the crack was on the market few days after the release, and sales dramatially decreased...

It's not that easy to decide of what is the good method or not.

Anyway all orders received yesterday are under processing today.

Honnestly I'll automate maybe the whole process in a few days to ensure a better feedback, as I know also as anyway those who want only pirated software will never buy legally...

Anyone with a headache today? Or is it only me? Twisted Evil

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed1 wrote:

And finally, I remember the VDS 5 release: the crack was on the market few days after the release, and sales dramatially decreased...

Well, that is typical of the release of a new version, as all the people who were expectantly waiting for it (or read about it in your newsletter) had bought by then.

Quote:

I know also as anyway those who want only pirated software will never buy legally...

Quite, so why inconvenience those who have paid, some of whom may be desperately wanting to make an EXE file to solve an urgent problem? The chargebacks I see often occur a month or more after the actual purchase, presumably when the buyer sees some item they don't remember on their CC statement. Keeping people waiting two days isn't going to prevent that from happening, anyway.

cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: VDS Registration Reply with quote

Seems like if script kiddies need a hack for VDS they will just use a previous version anyway. Having gone through the automated purchase process for 2, 3 and 5 I am loathing the thought of having to wait 2 days for a deliverable.

Thanks,

cnodnarb
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: