forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VDS for Android

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: VDS for Android Reply with quote

Yes, here is a BIG wish, that will probably not happen. But who knows.

I will be receiving my Android enabled device shortly, and I realized the high potential of building apps on that open source OS (for portable devices) by Google.

Aside from slowly gaining popularity over ipod apps (no more ipods for me since last week), it is much easier to submit apps for Android.

You can currently build apps for Android, but it has to be in Java.

How nice it would be to have a VDS like language for to build Android apps Smile

And if it would happen, VDS would sell VERY much!

Ok, I think I will go back to sleep and dream now about this.. Smile

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ROTFLMAO Insane You would have better luck making it to the moon in a bathtub.

Now on a serious note... Have you tried loading Wine? Android is after all Linux. I know Android does not run X but if you can get WINE to run then your VDS applications will run with the exception of my GadgetX DLL ActiveX abilities. I have been working on getting it to go in Linux but so far no luck.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I know.. but it's a dream! A big one I know Smile

I will look to see if there some kind of Wine for Android .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile It's a nice idea and might be possible in the future. Embarcadero (new company that owns delphi) is looking to create a compiler for iPhone and a few other mobile devices. So if VDS used the new Delphi (when it comes out) it could theortically pump out executables for ARM cpu's. Then again VDS would need to be updated to specifically compile for these and that would be the main task that could take some time.

It's not that complicated to learn many of these new languages. It took me a few weeks to learn objective-c to make a game for the iphone. Java is really a much easier language to learn and is very similar to Delphi. While VDS is great it's just not well supported and looking at other languages helps make you smarter Smile and build skills with the 'default' tools used for those platforms.
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delphi supporting ARM CPUs.. humm.. thats interesting. Smile

I got really excited when I started looking at Android and the possibilities. We all know the future of mobile applications is going to be huge (already is). And having a simple development tool to easily make little apps would be great. And if someone comes out with that kind of tool in the short term, would be in great position to make lots of cash I think.

Simple scripting language or even a tool similar to MMB for compiling Android apps.. ok I guess I am dreaming again, but anyone good at programming Java should seriously look into that.

I could even offer my 12 years of experience in Software quality assurance to help!
Smile

Well unless VDS uses the new Delphi features to be released Smile That would be even better!
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOP!

You guys are making me very sad now. I miss VDS so much. I'd just be happy to see VDS continue on Windows, let alone have a cross platform version.

Some software stand the test of time, but there comes a time when time passes it by, such is the case with VDS, it stood well for so long, but time is passing it by now and soon time will forget VDS.

Of course VDS still serves a purpose for many, just like a Weber Carb from a '67 Chevelle does for another car collector who owns a '67 Chevelle. This is almost where VDS is at now, a blast from the past for those who collect unique things from the past.

* goes to cry in a cup of coffee *

PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett you have to remember that VDS is still fully capable of releasing fully compatible applications for Windows and thats not a 'blast from the past'.

While there is a lot of hype around mobile platforms I can tell you if you look at the blogs and forum posts from many iphone and android developers they don't make much money at all - in some cases less than $100 after months of hard work to make games and apps; some of these games are really highly polished and cost them thousands of dollars to make - a total loss for them. The thing with mobile is if you are looking to make money it gets much more difficult when your app prices are 99 cents - $1.99 at most; unless your app gets alot of media exposure.

It's still much more profitable to release applications and software on Windows; and so I don't think focusing on it is such a bad thing.
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could do it? Only thing is that somebody would have to create some kind of repackaging system so that you'll be able to compile the javascript code together with the VDS code into a Android application. Smile
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually from what I understand Android uses Java for just about everything so all you would have to do is rap the javascript into a java class then to launch it just build a webpage on the fly with the javascript and lauch it in Android's browser. This should not be too hard however I don't have a Android phone to tinker around with the idea.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Wish List All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: