forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Open Source]: ProSetup Installer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Visual DialogScript Open Source Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: [Open Source]: ProSetup Installer Reply with quote

I am considering making a program I am starting open source. It will be an installation program...possibly with both a "modern" and "classic" wizard interface.

What we would need to do is use a free command-line zip tool that we can re-distribute...I may know of one...but I'll have to think where...zip it into a self-extracting EXE file, then use the wizard to copy the files and delete them after installation is done. We can probably make a nice self-extracting EXE with Tommy's Easy Packets...which will allow to run the setup EXE file after extracted...then replace the contents with the command-line zip program.

A lot of other features could be implemented...

If anyone is interested, just post below, and what I have so far I will post.

FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a basic outline of how the setup program will look (unchanged):
Please note that the setup logo is missing so it may look bare...

Code:
Title ProSetup
%%instname = Test Application 1.0
  DIALOG CREATE,ProSetup - Welcome,-1,0,459,328,,,NOMIN
  DIALOG ADD,STYLE,BIG,Tahoma,14,,,
  DIALOG ADD,BITMAP,logo,10,10,119,265,logo.bmp
  DIALOG ADD,GROUP,sep1,280,10,438,2
  DIALOG ADD,BUTTON,Back,294,204,76,24,< Back
  DIALOG ADD,BUTTON,Next,294,284,76,24,Next >
  DIALOG ADD,BUTTON,Cancel,294,372,76,24,Cancel
  DIALOG ADD,TEXT,TEXT1,8,136,81,24,Welcome,,BIG
  DIALOG ADD,TEXT,TEXT2,34,134,459,13,This wizard will install %%instname on your computer.
  DIALOG ADD,TEXT,TEXT3,68,134,322,13,It is strongly reccommended that you close all other applications
  DIALOG ADD,TEXT,TEXT4,82,134,322,13,you have running before continuing. This will help prevent any
  DIALOG ADD,TEXT,TEXT5,96,134,322,13,conflicts during the installation process.
  DIALOG ADD,TEXT,TEXT6,124,134,322,13,Click Next to continue"," or Cancel to exit Setup.
  DIALOG SHOW
:Evloop
  wait event
  goto @event()
:BackBUTTON
  info Replace this line with code to process the BackBUTTON event
  goto evloop
:NextBUTTON
  info Replace this line with code to process the NextBUTTON event
  goto evloop
:CancelBUTTON
  goto close
:Close
  if @ask(Setup is not complete. If you quit now"," the program will not be installed.@cr()You may run this installation program at a later time to complete the installation.@cr()Are you sure you want to exit?)
  exit
  end
  goto evloop

Tommy
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This section of MSDN may be useful related to this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wizard/sdkwizv4_757y.asp?frame=true
Dr. Dread
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Freezingfire

I think that's a great idea. And it should be interesting to many VDS coders for distributing their stuff.

I played around with installer components some time ago, so I should have some code snippets lying
around which may come in handy.

As concerns zip components, I'd go for Info-ZIP - it's open source, EXEs are freely distributable etc.
http://www.info-zip.org/

Greetz
Dr. Dread

String.DLL * advanced string processing
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup thats a good idea... Very Happy

Last year I started working on my own installer with VDS, I stopped because of other projects.. So used InnoSetup...

Ill try to find what I have so far and will give out the code.

Hope I can find it within my PC and CD mess... Wink Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am currently using Inno Setup to distribute any applications I make...but I figure if I can make a really nice installer that I can fully customize without having to know pascal code (you can write stuff for InnoSetup with pascal code...but you have do download "My Inno Setup with Extensions"...

This could even include something like a "activation code" or something to install the product instead of a password that would have to be used with Inno Setup...

Since you cannot reply with a Poll in with this forum...reply to this thread and vote for which interface I should make..."classic" or "modern"... Smile

Tommy
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern absolutely, or possibly allow a choice. I really like the feel of the modern interface.
FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the ZIP.EXE that comes with V-Setup...in the license it says that it is freely distributable by anyone..."so long that it is not modified and that it is not sold for profit."

I'm thinking that we could use that for command-line zipping and un-zipping...however you could use any zip utility that supports self-extracting EXE files for change the contents...

Yes, after some hard work I will make it so that it possibly allows a choice of style...personally I am more fond of the Modern style also...

cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that even having a user unzip installation files manually (with winzip or equivalent) then having a setup program included is not at all unreasonable...

With that said, there are many other things about an installation program to be considered, filelist, reg entries, toggles for users choosing directory or not, entering registry stuff during setup, ini entries to win.ini and system.ini

Not that I'm saying that self extraction is not something that is not necessary, I'm just saying that maybe it's not where to start...

Having said that, I think that the developer should have full control over the actual positioning of dialogs on the setup program itself. Something like this

Code:

if @equal(@iniread(NextButton,Custom),1)
DIALOG ADD,BUTTON,Back,@iniread(NextButton,top),@iniread(NextButton,left),@iniread(NextButton,height),@iniread(NextButton,width),< Back
else
DIALOG ADD,BUTTON,Back,294,204,76,24,< Back
end

NodNarb
FreezingFire
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...that is a good idea...however, the user may not have zip/unzip program...so self-extraction may be needed...I've yet to find an exe that just extracts to a specified directory then runs a file (in this case "setup.exe" or something...)

I noticed when I open a V-Setup file in WinZip I find there is a program named "setup.exe"...when I extract that from the archive, and run it, it runs like the normal setup program...so, in theory, the single actual "setup.exe" program that the end-user runs is extracting the files, then running an executable named "setup.exe".

cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated (sort of)

I noticed that the lesser than sign showed up as html code in my post, but not in the green post, how do you post "green" code?

NodNarb
Mac
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya NodNarb, Smile

Use the "code" tags (I'm disabling BB code so this will show):

[code]
rem -- Here ya go --
INFO Put your code here...
[/code]

Cheers, Mac Smile

http://www.vdsworld.com/download.php?id=361
Dr. Dread
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, again

Dug up this subroutine - for obtaining paths:

Code:

:Paths
  %%sourcepath = @path(%0)
  %%WinDir = @windir()
  %%WinSys = @windir(S)
  REM Watch out! The following comes out with a trailing backslash
  %%WinTemp = @windir(T)
  %%ProgramFiles = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,ProgramFilesDir)
  %%CommonFiles = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion,CommonFilesDir)
  %%StartMenu = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Start Menu)
  %%Startup = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Startup)
  %%ProgFolder = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Programs)
  %%FontsFolder = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Fonts)
  %%Favorites = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Favorites)
  %%Desktop = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Desktop)
  %%SendTo = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,SendTo)
  %%MyDocs = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Personal)
  %%AppData = @REGREAD(CURUSER,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,AppData)
 REM All Users Folders - NT/W2K/XP
  %%All_Startup = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Common Startup)
  %%All_AppData = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Common AppData)
  %%All_Desktop = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Common Desktop)
  %%All_Documents = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Common Documents)
  %%All_Favorites = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Common Favorites)
  %%All_Startmenu = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Common Start Menu)
  %%All_ProgFolder = @REGREAD(LOCAL,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders,Common Programs)
EXIT

BTW. As for zip components, Info-Zip is certainly an option for creating plain zip files or sfx files, as well. Info-Zip is very advanced
and reliable. The sfx files created do no support running one of the embedded files after extraction, but that is no problem
when you have control over the rest of the process, i.e.:
Code:
RUNH SFXFILE.exe -d %%MyTempDir,WAIT
RUN %%MyTempDir\SETUP.exe,WAIT
if @file(%%MyTempDir,D)
  FILE DELETE, %%MyTempDir\*.*
  DIRECTORY DELETE, %%MyTempDir
end

etc.

If course, it would also be possible to use a plain zip file and then one of the VDS extension DLLs that can do unzipping (mtzip.dll &
Tommy's vdsunzip.dll) to unpack the files.

Greetz
Dread

Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Just a thought Reply with quote

Could you use tommys, vdsbin.dll to pack all the files into a single resource file then, build an exe to extract the files to their destination ?

You could have say:

Setup.exe - Main exe for unpacking & installing
setup.res - binary packed file, containing - all the files, resources, destinations paths etc etc.

Just a thought Smile

I could be way off , but i just wanted to join in Smile

Rubes_sw
Dr. Dread
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, that's possible. The only thing is that files will not be compressed so your res files will be unnecessary bulky.

Greetz
Dread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Visual DialogScript Open Source Projects All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: