forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We are under attack by a new user script

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: We are under attack by a new user script Reply with quote

Looks like this forum is under attack by some sort of new user scripting.

Suggest IP banning as needed, hopefully they aren't dial up abusers.

Appears the purpose is to market various product websites.
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just this forum, its phpbb in general. It's so popular all the internet marketing trolls have for some time decide to spam everyones board. It's not only the marketing trolls fault but the people who click on these links and click on spam that encourage this to keep going on.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mean the New Users that are trying to sign up for the forum, then yes, but it's not new. I've been the volunteer for quite some time now fielding the new users requests and have been getting anywhere from 20+ to 40+ new user requests each day. Luckily most of the names they use are obvious spammer attempts and I don't have to run them through the spammer database.

Seems there is two sources right now whereas there used to be only one source. The new second source is more of a pain in the fact that it actually tries to make legitimate looking user names. The previous source used names that were too obvious in the user names.

The first source tries to pump a lot through but the new second source only tries to pump one or two through a day.

If you run a forum and need to check on users who sign up, here's the two spammer/bot database sites I use to check them out with:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/
http://www.botscout.com/

I usually use the StopForumSpam site first. You can check by email address, username or IP address. I just use the email address and that has always worked just fine for me.

The BotScout site works good too, but the StopForumSpam site usually covers it all for me.

I made a cross platform client side little app for the StopForumSpam which is small and sits nicely next to my browser so I don't have to switch tabs and such. You can check it out and download it here:

http://www.paraboliclogic.com/programs/misctools/
(second program down on the page)

~Garrett

cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This type of marketing really ticks me off. Now that I'm "awake" I may be making some odd post...you know...post that should have been done a year...two years...ago LoL!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: