forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VWA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: VWA Reply with quote

<ramble ramble scroll down>
Hi guys, I've been working on this 'thing' (web protocol) called VWA. Think Java Web Start for Visual Windows 32 bit executables.

This particular thing if it ever goes live will have several resources already installed on client computers, SILK Icons with appropriate credit, VDSRUN30-60.DLL, VDSBRW50.DLL, VDSBRW60.DLL etc.

"It's a bad ideal to let 32 programs run rampant from the web".

I know. That's why developers who obtain a signature will have their identities verified prior to obtaining signing software. That's also why the end user will be asked if they would like to run the code from the protocol proxy.

Other folders will include (if legal, I have a lot of research to do) Visual Basic 6, AutoIt, HyperNext, Ubercode, BBC Basic, .Net (installers), Instant EXE, JScript Compiler (jsc.exe may or may not be distributable, but is on 90% of computers already so I'll do a recursion search and leverage it) and anything else I can get my hands on.

Also all languages above MUST be able to allow you to add personal information to your EXE file or you've got to use a third party tool to do it.
</ramble>

What I would like, is if you have made a DLL that you would like to be in the Visual DialogScript folder for this web protocol then post a reply here.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind. It will be up to the AUTHOR to download required resources to application path using the VWA protocol.

Say your missing a DLL, well if you have distribution rights you invoke the DLL download first. Then you download and execute your program.

Saves me a lot of effort, and ups the release date. ONLY SIGNED CODE WILL EXECUTE.

So there might be a DLL sitting in an obscure / inaccessible location, but unless signed code calls it it's mostly harmless.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK, this is going 'too good to be true' so the only logical conclusion is: it's too good to be true.

My concern is the concerns I haven't considered yet. I've missed something.

The first release of VWA will be very restricted to PM's and private downloads. I feel that VWA is best suited to enclosed environments, telecom inter-departmental use, private clients etc.

It's not ready for free to distribute/big time use like Java Web Start...

Currently I don't work for a big corporation (although I have) and I don't have a jungle gym of a few hundred machines to play on like I usually do so I need to take testing nice and slow, which is NOT my forte.

I will not be open sourcing the software; however, I do intend on allowing a few VDS'ers to help me test a full fledged distributable along with software signing tools.

I'll let you know how it goes. In order for me to get you software tools I will be using snail mail, that way I'll have a method of verifying your identity should the need arise (you never know who will be the next Zoltar) AND you can be comfortable that I'm serious about the future development of the project.

So in the next few weeks, you can look forward to an announcement that VWA is ready for beta.

Thanks for 'listening' to my ramblings LoL!
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was missing TWOFISH.

I also have concerns about inability to sandbox applications, however no application will start from VWA with elevation and all code will be signed by a registered developer.

Maybe I'll figure out sandboxing during the beta; I doubt it though.
I would like to be able to run programs at 'lowest elevation' somehow restricting even moderate file and registry access.

The beta will begin shortly after I think a few last details through and come up with some sample applications and scenarios where this solution would definitely be meet and fit Wink
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to research and development I have to apologize to win9x'rs and XP'rs.

This will be a Vista up application. Only way I can meet with the CYA protocol I have in place.

[edit]
Looks like I'm over my disaffectedness with new windows operating systems. 4 years ago what I'm trying to do now wasn't possible.[/edit]
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I'm out then. Sad

I did have Win 7 installed but my system couldn't handle it. It was going way too slow.

cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Full XP support now!

Bad News: Mental block: Example restricted executables.

I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with valid examples for this technology *sigh*

I guess I can make some simple stuff, I just don't feel like it LoL!

So until I'm able to grind out some simple stuff, like a clock, a text editor, a address book (or organizer of other type) it may be a while before the beta. I could go beta now, but it would feel dry and uninspired without examples to display the real viability of the system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: