forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VDS Future Development?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: VDS Future Development? Reply with quote

There was a post a while back mentioning the purchase of the VDS source code. Is this still ongoing or even a possibility anymore?
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last word I heard from that discussion is that the owner is currently not interested in selling VDS over to anyone else.
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CR wasnt interested in selling. Will contact them again in a few years to see if they still are interested Smile
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want for Christmas...is knowledge on where VDS is going in the future. If it's dead I'll mourn. If it's sticking with CR for future development / VDS 7 I'll be happy. If CR sells it / gives it charitably (yeah right) to the community I'll be ecstatic, especially if it becomes open source / GNU.
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I use VDS for all my programming and I really LOVE it. I don't have the time or desire to learn a new language (unless I really NEED to because VDS dies). I really hope we see a VDS 7.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say really. The owner is likely quite busy with other portions of his business and tries to get work in on VDS when he can. Unfortunately this makes VDS suffer and slowly the user base is dwindling away. The owner is a great guy mind you, I'd enjoy a visit and a cup of coffee with him, but I am sad that he is unable to progress more quickly and smoothly with VDS. Much like putting your aging mother in a retirement home and then never coming to visit her, very sad.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* ::frustrated::

UGH!!

Sad

::fistpound::

This shouldn't bother me so much. I can't believe City of Heroes is cancelled and VDS doesn't have a future. And Microsoft...getting rid of Windowed apps for Tiles...

Can I go back to 2005 now please?
bornsoft
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, things are changing a bit to fast - at least for me.

One probably dumb question (I have no idea about Windows 8 at the moment):

Do VDS programs work with Win8 and does it make sense at all to develop windowed applications for future usage?

I cannot really imagine to productivly work on a computer that is acting like a cellphone.

Greetings

bornSoft
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what I tested so far, I saw no issue at all with Windows 8 + VDS.

And yes the color boxes are strange for a desktop.

But overall, Windows 8 performs very well for me. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 8 actually rocks! Other than the piece of crap immersive interface...

What DOESN'T rock is the big wigs at Microsoft are trying to prep the world for a completely different vision and dynamic for Windows, so that Windows 9 will be even more craptastic.

Now, they could do an about face. It is quite obvious simply by fiddling with the immersive interface (Start Charming) that the developers themselves were wanting to go a different direction (there are resize handler events etc.) and don't like the vision, at least for the launch pane. There also is a convenient space for a start button that is not utilized.

BUT if the Mac loving (don't believe me? They take Mac books to frigging presentations!) top dogs have their way you can expect some drastic changes to Windows in years to come.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 9 has been cancelled and replaced by Microsoft BOB 2.0.
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modern ui is really to be used on tablets, and laptops with touch screens, or desktops with touch screens. You can use them on the desktop too but really this is better suited for a few of those applications - Netflix, games; anything traditionally which requires a single focus and multitasking.

You can hate if you want but realize that the experience/capabilities in Windows 8 is available on every device - tablet, desktop and notebook. This means as an app developer you code once and can ship to every single product. Where your app works exactly the same on all of them without yo
u having to write specific code for each use case; this is one of the benefits of one OS across all devices. Also since this is the same c# code you can target Windows Phone 8 and publish there too - although in this case you have to create a user interface separate for it but the underlying functional code for your app is the same.

Regarding resize events - I believe this is there in case you decide to change the resolution of your computer while an app is running or you choose to change orientation of your tablet to be in portrait/landscape mode which will allow dynamic resizing of your application.

On a traditional desktop with no touchscreen - the modern ui only needs to be accessed a few times; on startup (there are workarounds if you want) but even without a workaround you just login and click the DESKTOP tile to go to the desktop. Most people place shortcuts on their desktop to the most used apps anyway so you don't need to go back into the modern ui again; of you use the modern ui start screen like a full screen start menu and put only icons you want there to programs - I think the management of icons/shortcuts is much easier in modern ui than the clunky start menu where you had to manage folders and each shortcut in an endless growing list.

The amount of change needed to adapt to Windows 8 takes a few days and once you do it the OS is much easier to use than Windows 7 and much better than windows 7. I didn't much care for Windows 8 either but after installing the retail version in August (TechNet account) and playing with it for a few months its really grown on me. Theres no way I'd go back to Widnows 7 at this point.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnodnarb wrote:
Windows 9 has been cancelled and replaced by Microsoft BOB 2.0.

OMG Brandon, you're still busting MS BOB's chops to this day~ :p

BTW, I still have a full disk set of MS BOB if you get lonely. Smile

Hooligan
VDS Developer
VDS Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M$ BOB was another case of "missing the Ballmer Peak"....
See: http://xkcd.com/323/

Hooligan

Why be normal?
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught myself being bad. Post deleted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: