forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is everyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Where is everyone? Reply with quote

It's been a while since I have seen anyone post. Where is everyone? Shocked
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been taking the week off from coding Wink Been watching Pawn Stars ;p
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still here, just haven't done any VDS related coding lately.
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually work at a company programming in VDS. I see it in my sleep! Shocked Very Happy
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spend most of my days playing Black Ops on the Xbox here. Not much VDS programming for me to do anymore Sad
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a fun game? ( i guess so since you play it every day Laughing ) I have never played it, I have a Wii. I usually play rock band for a few hours.
Boo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Because VDS does not seem to be moving forward, I am currently learning/studying the cross-platform development package LiveCode.

(However, I still hope to use VDS from time to time.)

Cheers,

Boo
Gulf Breeze, FL
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... LiveCode, formerly Revolution. Very very nice setup to choose, albeit, a bit pricy, but worth it if you ask me. I haven't updated for years on that one, just can't afford to update, but would if I could.
Boo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Garrett,

Long time no type! Great to hear from you. Cool

Regarding LiveCode, I was a bit skeptical at first but am now a believer. FYI: You can get a personal edition for as little as $99, and as a registered user, you are regularly sent offers that allow you to save substantial chunks of change.

The main LiveCode Web site is as follows:

http://www.runrev.com/

In addition to the cross-platform aspect (i.e., you can develop apps. for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, the Web, and eventually for Windows phone), the developers have also implemented a new server version.

Check out: http://www.on-rev.com/home/

FYI: I just obtained an On-Rev account and have been playing with it--and I definitely like what I see!

Check out these demos:

http://www.screencast.com/users/Runtime_Revolution/folders/On-Rev/media/a0e3c89f-ef90-4805-aa6e-d320c4b419d7#

The beauty is that you can learn only one language and then develop for so many platforms... And at least for desktop apps. (i.e., Windows/Mac/Linux), you can essentially program once and then compile for the various platforms simultaneously.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I will continue to use VDS too (as it is still the best way I know to quickly design utilities that get the job done)...

Finally, please note that I am in no way affiliated with RunRev, On-Rev, nor LiveCode (other than being a satisfied customer). Cool

Cheers!

Keith G. Long (a.k.a. "Boo")
Gulf Breeze, Florida
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qt is another great programming langauge/framework that is cross platform, but since nokia is wholehog into windows phone 7 there is some doubt over Qt.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGWARE wrote:
Qt is another great programming langauge/framework that is cross platform, but since nokia is wholehog into windows phone 7 there is some doubt over Qt.

Yeah, I know, I've been following that in the news. And I bet you one of two things will happen, either Qt gets lost in the dust, or Nokia finds a why to release Qt to someone else before it gets lost in the dust. But I highly doubt Nokia will personally do anything with Qt anymore. IMHO that is.

JRoza
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely switched to Delphi and FreePascal/Lazarus as VDS is a dying product. Mind you VDS is great, but without true commitment from CR there's no future for it and will slowly fade away (shame CR!)
The only VDS work I do is some maintenance now and then on older VDS programs.

Crying or Very sad
Boo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JRoza,

But what about cross-platform apps.? Wink

Cheers from Florida,

- Boo
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freepascal can compile to many different operating systems, linux, mac and even compiles native 64bit windows exe's; something delphi still cant do. However the reality is on the desktop Windows rules the roost still so cross compatability isnt an issue unless you really need it for your work place.

MObile is a different situation and there are quite a few solutions for cross platform. But honestly I've found its not that difficult writing applications in c# for windows phone 7, then translating that code over to Objective-c for iphone development. Most programming langauges are very similar, building user interfaces, transitioning windows/panes and accessing system apis are slightly different. One good way I've found is for code that is not so clear on conversion is to put those in custom functions/procedures, that way when you do need to convert you know those need specific code for each platform; otherwise the if then else, repeats, whiles, and other similar code is standard across programming logic.

Garrett - yup I believe nokia already transitioned symbian off to another company so they may keep Qt for awhile but may do the same. They may even take Qt and build a special 'compiler' to auto translate it into c# during compile time; thus allowing their developers the ability to still use Qt.
Boo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PGWARE,

Quote:

Freepascal can compile to many different operating systems, linux, mac and even compiles native 64bit windows exe's; something delphi still cant do.

Agreed (but regarding Freepascal--just how user-friendly is it?)...

Quote:

However the reality is on the desktop Windows rules the roost still so cross compatability isnt an issue unless you really need it for your work place.

I know A LOT of people who would disagree...

Personally, I still think LiveCode is the best solution. (At least for now.) Everything is relative, including relativity itself. Cool

Cheers!

- Boo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: