forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VDS -> AutoIt (Dead)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Visual DialogScript Open Source Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: VDS -> AutoIt (Dead) Reply with quote

Current Version

If participating (humor me, I know it's not likely), please post code updates as follows:

Original Code Lines: 244 - 249

Replacement Code
Code:
        list add,3,;EVLOOP REPLACEMENT
        list add,3,While 1
        list add,3,"$msg = GUIGetMsg()"
        list add,3,WEnd
        list add,3,;/EVLOOP REPLACEMENT

When I have time I will update this post with your changes.

vds2autoit.dsc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  vds2autoit.dsc
 Filesize:  10.26 KB
 Downloaded:  1767 Time(s)

Last edited by cnodnarb on Thu May 09, 2013 1:47 pm; edited 4 times in total
newuser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres only one problem I can think of, any VDS program that get converted to autoit, the converted source code(autoit) will most probably become "open source". If you get what I mean, theres alot of discussion going on in autoit forum regarding it but there isnt a good solution. Sad
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're absolutely right, and this is definitely something I hadn't considered. There are very effective and reliable decompilers for all versions of AutoIt.

For fun (for now), I'm going to keep playing with this ideal anyway and post some sample code while I digest this information. I'll decide whether to get serious with it later.

[edit]
Technically speaking, all code posted to the internet is restricted copyright unless stated otherwise. Their exists a general understanding that code may be reused to some extent when made publicly available, but only to a limited extent.

I feel compiled code implicates a statement of 'please don't use my code' which most respect other than to further their understanding of a language .

As for those who don't respect it...well some folks are really good at decompiling, and if they want something they will most likely get it. We can only hope the IMPACT of them getting it is minimal. Our doors and windows of protection can be kicked in and smashed with rocks, pretty much regardless of what we use.
[/edit]

[edit]
As I get going with this, I'm starting to think the FRAMEWORK involved will make it easy to possibly interpret VDS to several languages... which is something I've had a long standing interest in!
[/edit]
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what language/compiler you use, it can be de-compiled by anyone who seeks to do so. Good people are good and bad people are bad and this will always be a constant in life.
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in this and do hope this can be done. It would also help me learn AutoIT (when I need to anyway)
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current version replaces original post.

I need help with parsefunc maybe ;/

Afeared I may get stumped!
bornsoft
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cnodnarb

I visited your board in your signature, I see what you are trying to do with AutoIt, I think I got what you're trying to accomplish, but forgive me, I think it's the wrong way.

Why do we wanna keep VDS alive?
That is the question. Even its owner seems not to have any interest in it.

Spoken for myself, I love its easyness and power, the simplicity of the logic and -that's the most important point- I'm familar with it.
I am not to stupid and not to lazy to learn another language, and there are lots of them out there having more capabilities than VDS now.
I think: If I have seen that it's possible to do things in one line of code that others need 20 lines to do, so why should I change?

What you are trying to do here is to wrap originally wrapped functions around a wrapped function of another language.
This will not solve the VDS problem. It will produce slow code and probably hurt license rights.

Believe me, I really want VDS language to keep alive, it's the easyest and yet powerful language I can think of, but its underlaying concept is obsolete now. It completely depends on proprietary technology that is not up to date anymore.

In my opinion the only thing to save the VDS language would be to rewrite it completely and make it free of runtimes, APIs and platforms.

What you are trying to do is laudable, but it will not save VDS and (sorry) you are wasting your time with it.

Don't be offended, this is only my personal opinion. We're fighting on the same side.

bornSoft
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense taken Wink

You are logically correct. This is totally not the business minded thing to do.

This is more of a token leisure tribute sort of thing...

I'm not really trying to keep VDS 'alive' for everyone, but I feel if I can create a conversion framework than maybe I can keep it alive for myself.

My effort is open source because I may need to ask for help with certain aspects, or if one of us becomes an expert in another language down the road it might be real simple for them to add the language to the framework.

I totally get that the whole Windows API VDS is built upon will be obsolete within a 7-14 year period and should be considered deprecated... and in 20 years only very old systems (Telecom APC, ancient banking scripts etc.) will even use the Windows API at all.

I also feel though that .NET is not the way to go either. The only tech I really 'trust' from a business standpoint at the moment is HTML5 CSS3 and Ecmascript (javascript), but I don't enjoy using that as much.

In basic, this is fun time. My next 'real' gig, I won't be using VDS, or AutoIt for that matter (unless it makes real sense for a quick and easy utility solution).

This post does not mean my chips are all in either, like I said, this is fun time. When it stops being fun, I'll stop working on it.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project updated. Still lots to do!

Does not parse nested functions properly, so abstract to variables as needed.

Please post a statement of work prior to beginning work.

Post sample
[post]
Hey! I'm going to add in support for the Dialog Add command, so hands off!
[/post]
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handling Dialog Add command. Hands off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Visual DialogScript Open Source Projects All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: