forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VDS's future, crossplatform-compatibility and legal question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harrys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hi guys,
its me harry and i go back to vds2.0 ..and i see
lots of you guys are still around and i also still make tools and stuff with
vds . made one last week in fact..
sorry to see its demise however its still good.
and it really won't die until windows goes away, so
since xp is slated for the funeral pyre in a year
and will still be on lots of machines for a few to come
after that so lets not scatter the ashes just yet..as long as there
is a forum i think vds can have a few more years.
but like you guys its now android and netbeans or eclipse
is cumbersome to learn , so thanks for the link Garrett...

anyway guys thanks for helping me on weeding out issues in my code
over the years
harry
dmonckton
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

I've been using VDS daily at work since VDS2, I remember installing my first version from a 3.5" floppy disk from some magazine. I therefore find it very very sad to think of the demise of this great language.

Thinking of the furture, I have bought a Raspberry Pi to play around with. Do any of you think its a good idea to invest time in learning Python? If its not Python then I'm going to learn plain C and then maybe C#.

This thread reminds me of the last episode of MASH, everybody saying goodbye and leaving on choppers....

Anyway

Thank you for all your help over the years.

David.M
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Python is a good one to go with. It's used a lot and it's a comprehensible language that I think any VDS'er could pick up quickly and keep moving forward. If you're going to play with the Pi, Python will get you there for sure. Plus, Python is cross-platform.
webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: VDS Python Future Etc Reply with quote

I still use VDS almost everyday for something. I am quite content with where it is and realize that it's not the only tool out there. Python is very easy for somebody familiar with VDS to learn. I like creating the GUI in VDS and using Python to do some of the heavy lifting on things where VDS is limited. Honestly there is no other program like VDS out there. It has allowed me to remain competitive with other companies and I can bring a product to market fully tested way faster with VDS than any other language. I don't want to see VDS die because I have been using it for a very long time also and would also be interested in seeing if they would sell it. I seriously doubt they would sell it but their problem is they have a great product and zero marketing skills. All they would really need to do is market it to businesses and show the value in rapid development for it to get new life. The problem is not with the language it's in the marketing and management of it.

I'll continue to use it. In fact I'm about to archive all of the DLL's and tutorials because now you all reminded me I wanted to do that a long time ago. Thanks all for answering questions throughout the years and for your contributions to VDS as a whole.

SLC now available for Linux...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideal, I have a lot of code examples I've posted here, and I use a lot of code examples that others have posted here, and I don't necessarily have them archived elsewhere.
webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Idea for VDS World Reply with quote

VDS World could if they wanted to sell CD's of the DLL's, Script Examples, Etc. Sort of a magazine on CD for VDS. It would generate some income for the site and offset the cost. Just an idea. Sure the number of "subscribers" would be small BUT it would make sense. There are many ways to breath life into things. If dialogscript doesn't want to do it the community should. Just my 2 cents.

Like I said before the marketing of this product is horrible. Had I not stumbled upon the website by mistake I never would have purchased the product in the first place.

SLC now available for Linux...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against the idea but the distribution of the funds has to be between many members. While I host the site and created the first site (10+ year ago); subsequent site remakes were made by several community members (vic, skit, tommy, and others), there are also several community members here who administer the site and forums (garrett, freezingfire, and others) that are either still here on the forums or have left; so it wouldn't be fair to collect the funds for myself. Thus its more a logistical issue to distribute the money - probably more effort than its worth tbh; finally it is also a legal issue to distribute files of others without prior permission on physical media for monetary gain.

I run the site on a server that's already used for webhosting. It takes up about 1.5 gb of hdd space for all files and forum so its not a huge resource to maintain. There is no intention of shutting the site down as it doesn't cost anything to run but a domain renewal fee each year - which is around $ 8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: