forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 8 and VDS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Windows 8 and VDS Reply with quote

Just an FYI. I installed Windows 8 Dev and VDS works great. Doesn't install right though. I tried compatibility mode, but that had an issue also. Maybe because it just a Dev version, they may fix that. I just copied the folder over from my main PC and created the registry settings. Works great! Smile VDS lives! Smile
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to try VDS on Win 8 Dev, but could not get the install to complete under VirtualBox, so gave up.

Nice to know that it still works on Win 8. Now, what would be cool is if we could get VDS made apps to work on tablets that run under Windows 8. But I believe that will not be possible.

LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be cool, but after getting an iPad, my wife would kill be if I got another tablet. So I wouldn't even be able to try it. Confused
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to run vds exe's in windows 8 atleast on x86 tablets, desktops and laptops. There will be tablets that use ARM processors too.

All apps that run in the metro ui will have to go through the Microsoft application marketplace approval - very similar to the apple app store.

A normal exe will still run just fine in windows 8 (x86) not on ARM processors without any approval and can be distributed just like you do now, but will run in standard desktop mode and wont run in the metro ui.

It looks like you can package a .exe inside a .appx container (tools will be available later on) and you include a few other manifests and other files. So likely you will be able to package your exe into the appx container and then submit it for approval to Microsoft to be put on their marketplace.

Honestly I'd suggest learning c#, its not that hard of a move to if you have basic understanding of programming. You can then deploy your code to xbox 360, windows phone, tablets, desktop, notebooks; and target both x86, and ARM processors with the exact same code. Microsoft offers the Visual c# express edition for free on their website, you can also use it for commercial use for free. http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visual-csharp-express
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know Prakash, thanks for the info.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I gave the Windows 8 Preview a run again on VirtualBox and it works pretty darn good here. As noted VDS 6 runs just fine, but you can't use the install, so I simply copied my currently already installed copy from Windows 7 over to Windows 8, then copied all the vdsrun files into the Windows 8 system.

For those who have not seen Windows 8, here's two screenshots.

Tile mode/view:

And desktop mode/view:

Take note that there is no "Start" button any longer with Windows 8. They kind of expect you to jump back over to tile mode to start your programs. I installed my superbar menu buttons which you see in the desktop shot, which have menus of all the programs I personally use.

You could simply make your own start button with a menu of program files, but! there is one issue, and that is that the start menu directory structure that has been with us for so long is basically defunct and new program installs do not necessarily create shortcuts in that structure now. Shortcuts are created on the desktop if the install program offers such.

I'm not exactly sure where and how they set the info for apps now for the tile view. But we should be able to find that info, grab that info and create a list of apps available.

Anyway, Windows 8 runs very nicely, even under VirtualBox. Wish I had a tablet to try it out on.

PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'tile interface' = metro user interface Wink

Program data is installed in the same area, you just pull that and can get a list of programs that show up in the metro user interface. I believe it will only show .exe shortcuts in the metro interface; possibly help files too .chm. You can still organize and make folders; right click on an item in windows 8 in the metro interface and a button will show up near the bottom letting you explore the directory the shortcut is in - its the same start menu location; the start menu basically is now a full screen application (windows 8 start screen) rather than a small panel in the lower left corner.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGWARE wrote:
It looks like you can package a .exe inside a .appx container (tools will be available later on) and you include a few other manifests and other files. So likely you will be able to package your exe into the appx container and then submit it for approval to Microsoft to be put on their marketplace.

Any info on these tools? I have the need to make a quick and simple app for the Metro UI

LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is what you are looking for:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh446767%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: