forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where is everyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya Boo, long time not see. I had a little laugh when I got the message from the forum to activate you ... AGAIN! Seems after so long you have to re-activate.

I tried out the livecode community edition. I'm a linux only guy now though and the linux version did not fair well here. No fonts were showing up at all, even during the installation process. I had to click and pray all the way, then uninstalled it. I'm actually going to try again soon though as I've recently updated my system recently, which might resolve the font no show from last time.

I'm forcing myself to stop using Windows as well as VDS. I'm focusing on PureBasic now which is cross platform Windows, Linux and OSX.

last week or so I've been converting my most needed/used vds made apps to PureBasic on Linux. I actually was going to use LiveCode also but yeah, that was a no go.

I'm actually thinking about writing a program that will convert all of my VDS source files into PureBasic source files. Save me some time from doing it all by hand one script at a time. I would do the same for LiveCode, but their source files got that little dash of binary action going on the source files which I never really looked into to see what was up with that.

Nice to see ya again Boo,
~Garrett

LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at PureBasic now, thanks. Do you have any VDS code translated to PureBasic? It'll help me with the transition.

Thanks

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 2 or 3 codes converted over. I'll zip them up and upload them sometime today.

~Garrett

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's at least one example that's almost completed. It's enough to at least see the differences.

http://garrett.vdsworld.com/vds2pbexple1.zip

If you need any help, drop me a pm and I'll give you my IM names and other ways to contact me.

LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks! I'll take a look.

One other thing, what about accessing the registry? I cannot find a way to do that.

Boo
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Garrett: Thanks man! Good to see you on here too. Smile

Cool about focusing on PureBasic. Writing a program to convert your VDS source to PureBasic sounds awesome.

Regarding LiveCode, they have done a lot of refactoring on the engine, etc. It continues to evolve accordingly... Sorry that it did not suit you. However, I highly recommend trying again. Although touted as an easy language (which it is), there is still quite a learning curve in order to take advantage of the more advanced features.

Warmest regards,

Keith "Boo" Long
Gulf Breeze, Florida

P.S. I just downloaded the Android SDK and am experimenting with writing Droid apps in LiveCode for my Kindle Fire HDX. So far so good!
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boo, I am definitely familiar with LiveCode, or it's predecessor Revolution. Yes, it takes a slight getting used to due to it's code style

Code:
set the top of me to 100

But yeah, once get even remotely used to it, it's as easy a writing a note... The hardest part is simply learning all the right words.

The output programs by Rev or LiveCode run more than fast enough. I never had a problem with that. And LiveCode did run just fine on Windows.

I would definitely recommend LiveCode(selectively that is) to people, but! due to the cost of getting a commercial license I will never again purchase LiveCode. Yes, I understand I can distribute programs using the community edition, but you cannot sell programs made with it.

As for Android.. I use Basic4Android, or B4A. Only problem I have with Android is there's far too many varied devices. So if I make any Android apps, they're specifically for me and my devices. B4A is not free though.

Anyway, yeah, have fun and maybe drop us a note now and then. Smile

~Garrett

Dr. Dread
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I've wandered off into Delphi, but really VDS is unparalled for small quick proggies or one-off utilities.
But perhaps its time to try another language (which is actually still updated and maintained). Any of you had experiences with using VDS dll's in for instance PureBasic?

Greetz
Dread

String.DLL * advanced string processing
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiquidCode wrote:
Great thanks! I'll take a look.

One other thing, what about accessing the registry? I cannot find a way to do that.

Can't believe I missed your question there. Sorry about that. Well, I don't know at the moment. I've pretty much used ini files when I made anything in PureBasic. Hmmm... Nothing turned up in the docs here. But, it does look like there's a lot of threads regarding registry editing on their forums. looks like someone made a user library for it. You'll have to signup to their forums and do a search for it there.

~Garrett

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Dread wrote:
Hey guys!

I've wandered off into Delphi, but really VDS is unparalled for small quick proggies or one-off utilities.
But perhaps its time to try another language (which is actually still updated and maintained). Any of you had experiences with using VDS dll's in for instance PureBasic?

Greetz
Dread

No, but I remember long ago someone using PureBasic to make dll files for VDS. I think they even sent me example code too, but I've since lost it. Sad

~Garrett

Dr. Dread
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett wrote:

No, but I remember long ago someone using PureBasic to make dll files for VDS. I think they even sent me example code too, but I've since lost it. Sad

~Garrett

I was more interested in doing the reverse - it is possible to use DLLs written for VDS in PureBasic...

Greetz
Dread

String.DLL * advanced string processing
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say yes, but I don't of course know how to do so. I was never good at the api stuff and trying to call dll files that way.
arcray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend LiveCode as well, especially since they have now adopted development of an HTML5 target...

..this means that the core code can be deployed to iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, Mac and HTML5

Ambitious, but exciting.

Now all I have got to do is convert from .vds to .lc

Rolling Eyes

andrewrcgray.com
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got LiveCode setup properly on elementary OS here, so now I have PureBasic and LiveCode. I've got quite a few old programs I did in Revolution that I can now bring back to life on Linux Smile
harrys

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are still here! wow
what loyal friends of VDS you guys are...we have to be
doing VDS for about 20 years now ..
just read the post by Tommy, i remember when he
first came on to the VDS scene everybody thought he was some hacker that was posing as a kid and couldn't believe he was .
but i don't see Julian .
i still use VDS for some tools but now most of my coding is with
server side stuff like php for my webstore.

harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: