forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visual DialogShell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregLand
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Interesting!! Thumbs Up
LiquidCode
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very cool. I'll be following this.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I thought I would be slowing down... but I haven't done that really, I do however have a story.

Microsoft once put out a very heavily locked down operating system called Windows RT, and as coders we all knew to avoid it, but not all consumers did.

My friends' wife bought one (Surface RT) and regretted it, and I bought it from them for like $70.00 a year later. I bought it because the feel of the thing was really very nice (and still is, although the paint is chipping) and it came with MS Office (although nerfed).

About a year after that a jailbreak was released, and I could make .net applications work (VB, C# etc.) although I don't have an adequete developement IDE that works on the device.

Then I found this powershell compiler, which I compiled up some .net code and tried on the Surface RT, and it didn't work. Some garbage about importing modules, and when ran from the PS1 script it didn't work either because the bulk of .net forms isn't available in the nerfed version of powershell they provided.

Then I worked on the DialogShell compiler, made it to where to core module is compiled with the script and I was demonstrating how it wouldn't work on the RT ~ except that time it sorta did! There was a bunch of errors, but a form indeed was produced... holy crap!

So I found a ton of mistakes in the core module the RT struct being more unforgiving than Windows 10 or even x64 windows, but once these mistakes were corrected DialogShell Designer worked perfectly!

So then I'm thinking... must be some way to get powershell to work on here ~ and after a ton of effort I jailbroke powershell in a side project, the work of which I then integrated back into the DialogShell runtime.

So now I have a Surface RT that has a lightweight development language available to me on the go Smile

I've had the opportunity to work with a ton of tablet devices (I haven't got my hands on a surface go yet, but almost everything else) and the Surface RT remains one of my favorites over the years build quality wise, and I'm glad I have it as it has vastly helped debug the DialogShell language on the whole.

So I went from 'don't get a RT device' to owning one due to low cost opportunity, to being very happy I have one.

I should be heavily updating the project later today, ok maybe not heavily, but I wouldn't download until tomorrow.

Thanks for reading!

https://github.com/brandoncomputer/vds
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Virginia, there is a ODBC connection.
DaveR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cnodnarb wrote:
Thanks for reading!

Thanks for sharing

Dave
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got through some sharpening challenges this week ~ I think there's some opportunites to improve object stacking (see richedit fontstyle example). I feel we are nearing release, but there's a whole lot of grinding on help and documentation ahead of me, and we could sure use a few more examples (and probably a few code refinements) beforehand.

Also I'm hoping to get a small website together, and I'm considering having a forum there ~ although I'm not stepping away here at all. Forum administration will probably be more challenging than I anticipate if the use base gets beyond like 10 members Smile

Even if I'm just one of two users (I have one solid user from the powershell side already getting pretty sharp with DialogShell) I am really happy I found this medium to carry the core concepts of the language forward for my own use.

Stay tuned here for more updates Cool
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting things!

Website: DialogShell.com / forum ~ almost ready(?) sort of! Lot's of dead links. Feel free to sign up, but since the product isn't ready... you know... maybe download the source code and fiddle with it, then you could maybe find something that needs to be better in the meantime... or maybe not! I like beer!

Visual DialogShell IDE - Yes I know I said I wasn't building one, but I am. It's going well thanks to Pavel! https://github.com/PavelTorgashov/FastColoredTextBox ~ there are two release candidates, one in C# (that is based overly very strongly on Pavel's work) and one that is in DialogShell (examples folder) that is still based on Pavel's work, but more like the way he intended instead of just taking his sample and twisting it. Worth a mention, the DialogShell version feels like it's about 1/8th the code of the C# version.

Alright, hopefully we are nearing release but things are really disjointed. The IDE is maybe half done, I haven't even thought about an installer yet, I don't know what names we are giving extensions, the compiler has pathing issues with a file is opened from another path, I need to think about resource integration.... lot's to do, but lot's is done.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debugging and designing the remainder of the IDE from within the IDE Smile

Storage issues / was juggling attachments....

OLD IMAGE

NEW IMAGE Smile
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well over a month in I realize I'm doing it wrong.

In PS, $(function) is only required to escape quotes in a string. (function) is acceptable otherwise.

So

window send $(winexists $FastTab.SelectedTab.Controls[0]) $(ctrl 'm')

safely becomes

window send (winexists $FastTab.SelectedTab.Controls[0]) (ctrl 'm')

*sigh*
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting 667!
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://dialogshell.com/download.html

Beta 0216 now available.
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0216 is for XP -7
(0216 will run on 8-10, but yuck. Missing expandability)

0218 is for 8 - 10 (1809)
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGWARE wrote:
I was unaware powershell supported GUI applications. My understanding was it was mostly scripting without a user interface. It's interesting that you can build windows forms applications with it.

I wonder if they will ever support WPF/UWP within powershell. I suppose to be cross platform they would need to port direct-x to other platforms too if you wanted to support WPF/UWP.

Nice project!! Its a huge undertaking and is amazing how quick you have come along with the project.

Apparently WPF is somewhat popular in powershell - honestly I must have been wearing a blindfold ~ when I open up Visual Studio the first thing I do is ignore WPF LoL

I've run some test, and XAML WPF would be very easy to implement, I should be building an example and adding it to git-hub in the next few days... although I'm not proficient with WPF AT ALL. So keep that in mind!
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone interested in making a wpf dialog designer ;p

Honestly, I'm sort of where I once was thinking about the IDE (we don't need one with so many others in play) and in part, I think that previous version of myself had a point.

I actually still find DialogShell most useful calling the vds.psm1 as a module to PowerShell ~ and as such I sorta feel like my focus got drawn away from this main module too quickly. There's still a ton of work to be done with the main module alone, so progress might (or might not, I never know what future me might do) appear to slow down visually, but that will be because I'll be nailing down the language elements instead of focusing on bells and whistles.

It was however CRITICAL that I implement the nine liines of code that enable WPF, that was extremely low cost. But now I have to think of what about a dialog designer? What about addition of controls on the fly? How does WPF work practically during execution in regards to control manipulation? I should get around to $(dlgprops) on a WPF button or window (etc, etc)

Tons of work. But the type of work I choose to do first impacts the quality of the end product ~ so I need to be careful, or be very willing for a complete refactor ;p
cnodnarb
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: