forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Initialize and Terminate Events for DSU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Wish List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Initialize and Terminate Events for DSU Reply with quote

Initialize and Terminate Events for DSU

Having a Initialize and terminate events for a DSU/include file can be very helpful.
These events will be called automatically on loading/unloading the dll.

Especially with API use where one can avoid the mess of user having to call these events for initializing a dll and cleanup events more so when they are not simple.
This avoids e.g. user forgetting to call the dll unload function.

What most of us do is trashing with the dll by repeated load unload inside the dsu Smile

It is also useful to show a demo dialog for shreware DSU at startup rather than showing it up with each function or each time a function is called.

One may suggest a work around for all these but that would be more convenient I think.
Useful or stupid idea Rolling Eyes

Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should do somthing like this...

Code:
:Exit
dsufile unload
exit

You can't send all DSU files a 'terminate' event, because they basicly are just subroutines of the whole script...

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can't send all DSU files a 'terminate' event, because they basicly are just subroutines of the whole script...

Indeed. When the VDS runtime executes the compiled script, it doesn't have a clue whether the code came from multiple dsc files, dsu files or one humungous dsc.

CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand that a DSU is just compiled into one plain sheet of code and is executed in the same way as a single .dsc file. What I was talking was something like this:

At present I think this is how an include file/.dsu is added to a compiled script (I am only Imagining things here but it may be moslty correct)

Code:
<--------------Script Begin-------------------->

<-----Define complier instructions----->
#Define command1
#Define function1
etc
<---End of Define instructions-->

<----.DSC file code begin--->
CODE
CODE

:EVLOOP
WAIT EVENT()
GOTO @EVENT()

:SUB1
GOTO EVLOOP
Blah
<----.DSC file code end--->

<----DSU code Begin--->

WARN This is a demo version of my DSU

:First command
CODE
CODE
Blah
Exit

:secondcommand
CODE
CODE
Blah
Exit

<--DSU code End--->

<--------------Script end--------------------->

As one can see in the above the code:
Code:
WARN This is a demo version of my DSU

is not executed since it is added below the :EVLOOP

What I was requesting was a ability to give a compiler directive to add the code between a tag eg #INITCODE #ENDINITCODE to the TOP before the :EVLOOP in the complied script so that it can be executed the moment the dsu is included. This can be used for other functions also like LOADLIB etc.

Similarly a close label :CLOSE#1 :CLOSE#2 etc to be looked for and executed if present before the exe quits.

This can be useful for unloading DLLs, releasing Device Contexts, closing open handles to files objects bitmaps etc WITHOUT RELYING on end user intervention. Else if he forgets* to call a close command cleanup is not done and undesirable consequences may occur bringing bad name to DSU author.

* I understand the responsibilty of end user but I think a programmer should always consider the end user to be kinda moron etc to be on safer side.

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's important for debugging that the line numbers in the compiled script correspond to lines in the original source files. So having the compiler insert bits of code within another file isn't practical. I think this whole thing would be better done by just having functions within your dsu that you have to call at startup and finish. It might seem harder but I think to the novice it's actually more understandable as they can see from the code what's going on, instead of having code being executed that is being called because of some directive somewhere else in the program entirely.
CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules wrote:
It's important for debugging that the line numbers in the compiled script correspond to lines in the original source files.

Embarassed I didn't think about debugging aspect. It is not absloutely necessary to have such a thing although I thought that it would make the DSU more self reliant.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Wish List All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: