forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official VDS Wish List
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly how I feel too.
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUR WISH WILL NEVER COME TRUE IF YOU DON'T MAKE A WISH Exclamation

I know what it is. Since VDS is not your primary programming language you don't depend on it Question It's ok I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest here. It really does not matter anyway because Prakash is very correct no matter what we do it will be cracked especially since it is under Windows Arrow

Well since I am batting 0 here I figured I would make another out-landish wish. Can we get a version of VDS that runs under Windows CE. Here is another wish that is even more crazy than that one. I want a version of VDS that will run under MAC OS X. Oh here is a good one. How about a version that will work under The BeOS? Others are doing it Razz Shocked

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a version for Solaris Smile
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want a version that works under Geos Ensemble,NDO,BBX Ensemble Smile

-Garrett

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see a version that enabled me to develop programs for portable computers. Unfortunately, VDS is never likely to run on anything Delphi doesn't compile to because a) it would have to be completely rewritten in a different language, which would be many months work, and b) in the process a lot of things would be changed and not work the same. Even implementing VDS on .NET looks pretty problematic, as it does a lot of things (use pointers, make direct API calls) that aren't allowed under .NET, and it constantly manipulates strings, which Delphi on Win32 handles quite transparently but which is done very inefficiently by the .NET runtime.

Please continue to make suggestions. A lot of the things that have been wished for here are going into VDS 6. Perhaps naively, I thought it would be of interest to explain from my insider's pointof view why I don't think some ideas are as likely to be implemented as others, but perhaps it would be better if I just shut up and let everyone wait for the new version to see what's in it.

arcray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules

Please do continue to keep us updated with what might, or might not, be going into VDS6!

Many Thanks!

andrewrcgray.com
jrmarquart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wish list (I apologize if some of these have already been mentioned):

Input Masks
Ability to specify milliseconds on a timer
CRC32 file checking
Query remote ODBC/OLEDB Datasources
Integrated SQL type syntax for handling data
Hooligan
VDS Developer
VDS Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perhaps naively, I thought it would be of interest to explain from my insider's pointof view why I don't think some ideas are as likely to be implemented as others, but perhaps it would be better if I just shut up and let everyone wait for the new version to see what's in it.

Jules,
Your input is obviously very highly regarded, and very much appreciated! I do hope you continue to post your insights, as I look forward to reading what you have to say. In fact, I have found myself reading some posts knowing very well that the answer is right up your alley, so I end up coming back several times to see if you've answered. (PGWare is another that falls into that category...) I don't post very much, but I read these forums constantly. To lose the insight of what I consider one of the forum's mentors, would be a huge loss. Don't ever believe your input is unwanted! Keep up the great work! Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Dan Hoolihan
(Hooligan)
Cool

Why be normal?
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules wrote:
I'd love to see a version that enabled me to develop programs for portable computers. Unfortunately, VDS is never likely to run on anything Delphi doesn't compile to because a) it would have to be completely rewritten in a different language, which would be many months work, and b) in the process a lot of things would be changed and not work the same. Even implementing VDS on .NET looks pretty problematic, as it does a lot of things (use pointers, make direct API calls) that aren't allowed under .NET, and it constantly manipulates strings, which Delphi on Win32 handles quite transparently but which is done very inefficiently by the .NET runtime.

Please continue to make suggestions. A lot of the things that have been wished for here are going into VDS 6. Perhaps naively, I thought it would be of interest to explain from my insider's pointof view why I don't think some ideas are as likely to be implemented as others, but perhaps it would be better if I just shut up and let everyone wait for the new version to see what's in it.

No Jules your point of view is very much needed and wanted even if it is a little rough at times. I know you cannot possibly do everything. Your only one person and I also know that CR makes the final judgement on what stays in a version of VDS. I sometimes come across as a little rough too. I just want the very best for this little language. I have spent so much time, money, and effort into it that I want it to be a lot more. Bottom line is that I perfer a language that when it claims it can do something that it actually does it. So far that is exactly what I get with VDS. If the help file says it will do something usually it is pretty literal about it. There are so many programming language systems out there that make claims but most of them are just blowing smoke. With VDS it seems that the standards you keep it at is above others even if it does not do all the fancy stuff what it does do it does it right and is kept simple. This is a testament of your effort and it is very much appreciated. I actually have lots of questions for you about how things work in VDS but I never seem to find the time to ask them. Remember we Americans just don't like to be told 'NO' Wink hehehehe

Well it is a shame that Delphi does not support embedded OS'es Sad It would be very nice to have PocketPC support. I have written software for Windows CE with Embedded Visual C++ and Embedded Visual Basic but I don't think it would be right to have VDS leave it's roots and use a different parent compiler. Not to mention how long it would take to transcode and then you have all those Delphi components that would either need to be rewritten from scratch or replaced with look alikes. I really would not be worth it until Borland makes it possible. Anyway I am still wishing for it Wink

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShinobiSoft
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jules,

Please keep up the input. I'm another who looks foreward to reading what
it is that you have to say Wink.

My two cents Cool

"The way is known to all, but not all know it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey well maybe the community here can work on cross open-source compilers for other platforms?

We basically would replicate the syntax for VDS to work on another operating system. I know CR/SADE had a problem with this before when the syntax was being duplicated; but the issue there was the compiled exe's would run on Windows.

I think we could replicate most of VDS on another platform if a) we had a good development tool for each platform. b) focused at first on the main functions and commands of vds and not so much on teh visual (gui) elements.

I really think the GUI elements may take the most time but the rest of the VDS code I don't imagine takign that long.

Obviously we don't have to make a new IDE; the IDE could always be Windows based; while the output code/exe could run on Linux, Mac, etc. etc.

I thought about once making a PHP version of VDS. Having PHP interpret the script line by line and execute the code. Possibly using HTML for the dialog/gui portion.
ShinobiSoft
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up PGWARE Thumbs Up

"The way is known to all, but not all know it."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGWARE wrote:
Hey well maybe the community here can work on cross open-source compilers for other platforms?

We basically would replicate the syntax for VDS to work on another operating system. I know CR/SADE had a problem with this before when the syntax was being duplicated; but the issue there was the compiled exe's would run on Windows.

I think we could replicate most of VDS on another platform if a) we had a good development tool for each platform. b) focused at first on the main functions and commands of vds and not so much on teh visual (gui) elements.

I really think the GUI elements may take the most time but the rest of the VDS code I don't imagine takign that long.

Obviously we don't have to make a new IDE; the IDE could always be Windows based; while the output code/exe could run on Linux, Mac, etc. etc.

I thought about once making a PHP version of VDS. Having PHP interpret the script line by line and execute the code. Possibly using HTML for the dialog/gui portion.

Actually I have thought about this course of action as well but have been reluctant because I was not sure how the owners of VDS would receive such things. Without permission I don't want to try this. I have the compiliers needed for Unix/Linux, Windows CE, and Pocket PC but I don't have any compiliers for Macintosh or BeOS.
So if we could get the written permission from CR I will be happy to start on it Wink

Give VDS a new purpose!
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules,

keep posting as your comments as a vds developer are fantastic Smile

i would like the version numbers able to cope with double digits and a better error reporting system as i mentioned in previous posts

also, the ability to print tables with or without borders around each cell

serge

Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGWARE wrote:

You mean making a new interpreter for VDS with a language which is compilable in almost every OS, like C or Java? If so, I've once made an interpreter for a self-designed language with Visual Basic, which I think is easy to convert into any other programming language. The only think left after that, is adding all functions and commands to it... Smile

Julian, what do you think about Prakash' idea? Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Wish List All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: