forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More variables

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwfv
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: More variables Reply with quote

I'm almost embarrassed to put this as a wish list item. I am sure I should be better at maintaining/reusing variable names, but ....

Would it be difficult to increase the number of allowed variables in a VDS script? Would it affect performance?

In my larger scripts, I often use variables to "carry around" the values of database fields that I have read from disk. ( %%Table1Name equals Table1->Name, for instance.) With several tables and lots of fields, I overlap sometimes. And sometimes I will need one record's info in one part of the program while another record in the same table is needed in another section.

Of course, there are lots of workarounds for this, but I thought I would ask about the possibility of increasing the number of variables allowed.

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering when someone was going to ask this. It's something that needs to be looked at.
Estas
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: More Variables needed in VDS 6 Reply with quote

Hi,
yes, I second the idea of more variables. Especially for larger projects, 250 variables seem not enough, since VDS has become much more than a basic script language. In order to develop full blown windows applications, which, in my point of view, VDS is capable of (within certain limits), more variables are needed.
Greetings,
Mike
webdaddy
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Intersting Thoughts Reply with quote

I sometimes when I start a program in VDS list out all the variables that im gonna need on a sheet of paper and keep track of them this way. I have certain ones that are reuseable and permanant ones, ones that are static, etc. By using a methodology from the start I have not run out of them yet. My largest "program" script was nearly 19000 lines all in VDS and 240 variables. I had a little room should I want to change the script in the future.

I dont know if I really explained that well but basically I just logically write it all out first so I know which variables can and cant be reused in different sections of the program.

SLC now available for Linux...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Wish List All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: