forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SAVE VDS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filip
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: SAVE VDS Reply with quote

Mybe it's time to users give something back.
I prepared to donate 20$ to Julian Moss so that can buy Dephi 2006.

VDS forum have 508 users if all donate some money for
Professional Upgrade to collect ($460.00) Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

DELPHI 2006 price list:
Architect ($3,490.00)
Architect Upgrade ($2,290.00)
Enterprise ($2,490.00)
Enterprise Upgrade ($1,490.00)
Professional ($1,090.00)
Professional Upgrade ($460.00)
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?????

I don't think Julian is having financial problems. Also I don't know/think he is currently working on VDS 6? Evenso what makes you believe Commercial Research will be using Delphi 2006? They almost always stick to an older version of Delphi to maintain a level of stability within the code.
filip
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read JRoza post Is VDS6 at risk?

Read the Quote (posted by Julian about Delphi)...
filip
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK

I recive some info back from Julian Moss:

Quote:

Sorry, I don't understand what this is about at all.

VDS (Visual DialogScript) was my program a long time ago, but I sold all the rights to SADE (now Commercial Research) in 1999.

I was doing some work for Commercial Research on VDS 6 but I stopped that work several months ago.

I have no current business relationship with Commercial Research and am unable to give any further information about their plans, or VDS itself. For that reason, I no longer contribute to the VDS forum.

Julian Moss
Tech-Pro Limited
http://www.tech-pro.net
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That confirms what I said.

He was a contractual and he is done with VDS and CR..

It does not mean VDS is dead at all..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JRoza
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the fact that Julian isn't involved with VDS anymore doesn't mean that VDS is dead but to keep it alive you do need someone who's enthusiastic to work on it.
Unfortunately CR doesn't show much enthusiasme for VDS and if you do not put enough effort in its development any product will bleed to death because its customers have left.

If only VDS development had enthusiastic developers like many open source projects have than the whole thing would breathe more confidence.
Now every so often I have the feeling CR is just milking the VDS cow dry before dropping it.

One thing is for sure though Julian will have no more involvement with VDS since he has different views than CR on the way the future VDS should go and he sees no future in it as things go now.

Surprised
Jan
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea filip and if it was going to help julian develop vds 6 then i would have been in it for the $20 but as it stands, i am not sure that julian wants to buy the latest delphi...

it's a real shame we have lost jules on vds 6 ... i hope that vds 6 will not suffer because of his abscence

serge

Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like PK said in another thread, Jules isnt (wasnt) the only developper for VDS at CR. Jules is not the owner of VDS, CR is.

CR is not dependant of Jules BTW.

But I guess people dont beleive that VDS 6 will ever see life. Even tho what I mentioned before. I dont want to start something here.But as I mentioned, there is an important mather that needs to be resolved first. Unfortunatly I can't mention anything about it. But if everyone would know, people would stop being negative about VDS6 and other future versions of VDS and CR.

And I dont get paid to say this Smile

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SnarlingSheep
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd really like to know is what everyone thinks they are going to gain with VDS 6? What do you really think is going to be new?
If anything 6 will probably be bug fixes(or at least should be) and that should be a free upgrade, but won't be. You guys still have faith in a company that will probably be charging you because they finally fixed the IDE file deleting bug?

I'm all for VDS, and maybe paying a small amount for real enhancements to the language, but each version is like completly buying the product again.

Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reassuring words marty as i was wondering if vds 6 would ever come out ... i will wait patiently Smile

serge

Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be a party pooper but...I honestly do believe the future of VDS is questionable. The biggest leap the language ever made was from VDS 2 to VDS 3, and that was long ago. The industry is moving fast, and VDS isn't moving at all.

The most effort I am able to put into this language at this time is a quick glance now and then "for old times sake".

The only thing I see even making VDS feasible would be the ability to add and create ActiveX controls and better access to windows native DLL's, but even this technology will soon be outdated.

I still love the VDS syntax and simplicity of language and code, but due to limitations of functionality I fear I haven't been able to use it for any recent solutions.
trapper
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Brandon and have begun top look around to see what other languages there are with a similar ease-of-use but has kept up-to-date. I haven't really found anything suitable yet... anyone else had a look?

Cheers...

JRoza
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still using Delphi 6 for most work.
I only use VDS 5 for projects that do not require the complexity and bulkness of Delphi.

I too have been looking around for a VDS alternative but I haven't found one yet. The alternatives are mostly Basic oriented and either too simple or too outdated to be of any use.
So there definitely is a market for a language as easy and direct as VDS but only if the product is actively being develeoped and marketed.

Come CR ...... do some re4al positive marketing for VDS!
That's the only way to enlarge the number of customers and keep VDS alive.

As for the price of VDS I agree that for existing users CR should ask for a reasonable upgrade price, indeed now we pay full product prices with every update.

It looks as if us "happy few" have to compensate all development costs of VDS.
Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a loyal user of VDS since VDS 3, and will continue to use VDS. I do understand CR's development / release of VDS6.

Why release a product if it's not ready or full beta tested otherwise users will be very un-happy with a bug filled version.

I don't know what size of a development team CR has but, for me I have 3 including myself, and we find it hard to release new versions of programs and updates for our clients due to development time and testing.

It's alright if you have the huge resoures that some of these companies have to develop and release languages but CR probalbly do not.

Take for example, I use Dreamweaver MX and paid the full price for it, and they are looking £xxx for upgrading !, they do not give it to you for a few quid. And look at the client base they have !

So in real terms CR should be asking for £300 - £600 for VDS !, but these are my thoughts only, i'm not provoking anyone.

I purchased VDS3, 4, 5 and will purchase 6. I have purchased several DLL's trying to support the developers here. Even though no-one here has purchased any of my products including a once $5.00 DSU ! (now freeware).

Really a forum will die if the users rag down on each other or the product, i've seen it before.

Nathan
**** Only my two cents worth ****
jrmarquart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't believe this is the appropriate forum to use to be discussing alternative languages to use that are similar to VDS - I too am concerned about the future of VDS. What surprises me is that someone from CR does not directly post and address this thread. If I were a company promoting a development language I would be concerned when users of that language are discussing using an alternative language on the main discussion forum for VDS!

While some other users have mentioned that it is in development - no official comments have been made at the www.dialogscript.com web site regarding the new version. For me even just a sentence on the main site that it is 'coming soon' would be a good indicator that it is being worked on and hopefully will be coming out in the near future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: