forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VDS and Active Directory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Help for VDS 5 & Up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: VDS and Active Directory Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to query Active Directory with VDS maybe with API or a DLL?
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone???
SnarlingSheep
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Active Directory uses COM, a bit beyond VDS abilities.
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try using the "run" command to load Active Directory files like dsadd.exe, dsget.exe and dsquery.exe Smile I don't know if the AD-MMC plugin should be available on your system to do this...
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslan,
I did not want to say anything but I just couldn't help myself. Yes I have written scripts to access Active Directory but they all use my Gadgetx.dll so AD scripts will be possible when I release the DLL. In the mean time I would suggest using VBScript or JScript to do what you want to do. Soon you will not need another scripting language to do these common System Administrator chores. I have even found a way to embed PHP in a VDS/GadgetX script and use it with out the need for a browser control Wink
The documentation is just killing me. I am trying to make the doc's as simple as the code and some things I am finding very hard to explain in writting. I may fore go some of the documentation just to get the DLL out but I really wanted to offer a full package with lots of support and information.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hooligan
VDS Developer
VDS Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonSphere,
I am certain that if you released GadgetX.dll, you would find more support on refining your documentation than you could possibly imagine! I would gladly purchase a product whos value is obvious, accepting a disclaimer of incomplete documentation, especially from an individual of impeccable character, such as yourself. There is no doubt in my mind that you would bend over backwards in support of your dll. In my 25+ years of involvement in various technical disiplines, I've learned that perfectionism will always get in the way of completion. (I am the epitome of a perfectionist!)

I don't want to rag on you, or anything, but I had to put my two cents worth in.

Hooligan

Why be normal?
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skit,

Quote:
You might try using the "run" command to load Active Directory files like dsadd.exe, dsget.exe and dsquery.exe...

I have been using the M$ AD command line tools but this process is very slow.

Dragonsphere,

Quote:
I may fore go some of the documentation just to get the DLL out but I really wanted to offer a full package with lots of support and information.

I agree with Hooligan, I think you should release GadgetX maybe with some basic documentation so that developer's can get aquainted with it and the syntax, then offer the Full documentation as it is available. In the interim, your forum on your website would be a good place for people to field questions as they're waiting for the full documentation. In fact, you would most likely end up with a lot of extra resources and user examples to create the more advanced documentation with.

In summary, Release it PLEASE. The little teaser you let me play with a year ago had me drooling. However, after a year of seeing "Coming Soon to VDS" I must admit I've been wondering if it would get released before VDS 6 which...well ummm I have no clue about it either. Rolling Eyes
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooligan and everyone else,
Your comments are very kind and mean alot to me Very Happy I will take these comments into serious consideration. I will at least compile a help file with all the syntax for the parameters/arguments of the commands/functions since I have most of that part done anyway. There has been several changes mostly due to memory leaks, OS compatibility, and usability. These changes will be posted to my site and there will be an official change log kept their as well.

As for my website and forum that Aslan mentioned I have also built a support site that you will be able to submit bug reports and general support issues. I really intended the forum to be used for sharing ideas and code between one another. Bulletin Boards are not really designed to handle support issues. They are ok but support questions are hard to manage that way. Also I am thinking about making a Wiki so you guys/gals can collaborate on projects that interest you. I just have to figure out how to allow you to create the Wiki's as you want. It would be cool if PHPbb had Wiki support built-in so you don't have to post 20 versions of the same code with tweaks to each post in the thread. Maybe a panel on the side for the Wiki so as you post you can modify the original code instead of having to post either the parts modified or the whole code listing again and again.
All of this is sort of like chipping away at Mt. Everest with a toothpick in the rain and snow... You think your getting somewhere until you have to stop to change the toothpick Rolling Eyes
Anyway VDS'ers I am working hard and keeping my nose to the grindstone. I have to go for now and I hope the next time I post it will be to tell everyone here that my DLL is released Cool

In the meantime Aslan check out this website from MSDN about Scripting. Mind you, you will be able to do all these things using GadgetX directly without the need for VBScript/JScript but it may give you some ideas of how to write the code for GadgetX. Take a look at the ADSI link for Active Directory scripting http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnanchor/html/scriptinga.asp

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I know I have mentionned this before regarding GadgetX, but i have seen it work, and even tried out some feature. And it has to be made public! Very Happy

But it would be a VDS update in a way ... Laughing

Anyway.. I know how you work, and you like things to be perfect, thats why I trust so much your work. I know doc is imporant, but the amount of examples you did and certainly with the basic syntax help file.. It would still be perfect. Smile

Hope it does see the day soon Smile

Thanks for your contribution here, much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Help for VDS 5 & Up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: