forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Javascript VDS interpreter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried this and it is excellent. I'm not sure why this is hidden away in a Moderator Discussion; this should be freely available for everyone. This is no way a competitor to CR's compiler, as this is using javascript and html - allowing vds developers to put their code online and running from a browser!

C, C++ is in the place it is now because of the many different compilers available out there, helping a language like skit is doing should be encouraged not discouraged by locking away his work so others can't see it.

I've moved this topic over to the Other Products/Announcements area as it should get some recgonition.
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for your information, you are allowed to use the code which comes with these posts for testing, but no other purposes. The interpreter code is created by me and is my property. I will continue developing it but don't know if I will officially release it as freeware or shareware -if I even release it-.

The examples you find before this post are all client side. Once that part is done, I will create a server side version which can communicate with the client side. That way, you can create complete web based applications with only VDS knowledge... Smile

marty
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Skit ... this is simply excellent!

I love this thing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very cool! All you need is a way to save the contents of the textarea, and you almost have an IDE! Though there are a lot of "gotchas" at the moment (the arguments to DIALOG commands seem to be case sensitive for example) and the REM command would be useful to comment out stuff that doesn't currently work.

I would love to see this develop into a usable product. The thought of being able to develop stuff on my websites using my favorite language makes me salivate! But I have some worries about the legality of it.

In the past, ED has taken the attitude that they own not just the rights to the product we know as VDS, but they own the DialogScript language as well. Remember what happened to Tommy when he started developing a VDS clone? It is a proprietary language just as much as, say, Clarion or Oracle, and therefore not open for anyone to make their own compiler or interpreter.

Despite recent assurances, until I have seen some evidence I'm not convinced ED has enough of an interest in VDS to bother too much about this at the moment. But if this started to look like turning into a real product, especially a commercial one, that might change.

Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skit this is VERY kool!

I hope it doesn't cause any negative legal issues for ya.
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I will release an official version of this script -commercial or not- I will ask ED about it. Until that time, I don't think these beta versions can harm VDS in any way.

Now a few questions for you all... Smile

Do you think I should stick with the official VDS function names (like @fadd and @sum) or should I combine these floating point functions with there normal integer versions?

Right now, I use the javascript command window.open to create real browser windows which you can use with the "dialog" commands. Although I think this simulates real VDS scripts the best it can, there are some downsides about it. Popup blockers can block the windows. If a users closes the browser window, it will be closed right away without having the ability to cancel it. Also, "dialog show" will not work like with real VDS scripts. Another option is to use DHTML to create windows within the browser window. Downsides of this method are that I have to completely implement a DHTML dialog solution (which can take up a lot of time and which will use a lot of file size for the runtime javascript file ánd needs some custom images). Also, created dialogs will not show up in the taskbar like you are used from normal applications. Which of both methods do you think will be best?

If I am going the commercial way with this interpreter, how much would users like to pay for it?

Enough questions for now Smile I created a new version of the interpreter which is attached to this post with a few more functions, better error handling and I made sure the "dialog" and "list" commands and functions aren't case sensitive. Also, both "#" and "rem" can be used to insert remarks or to comment out code. Jules, your question about saving content; because this interpreter is made with javascript, it will get the ability to communicate with a server by the use of XMLHTTP (better known as Ajax). You do still need a server side language which stores passed arguments to a database, but I think I am able to create a little package so that you can use this VDS interpreter with ASP or even PHP. That way, you then don't even have to know any other programming language than VDS! Smile

Interpreter.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Interpreter.zip
 Filesize:  12.27 KB
 Downloaded:  1442 Time(s)

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think you should stick with whatever your original plan/intent
is/was for this project. Don't change direction in the middle of it. If after
you complete the project that decide to change directions, then either make
them as addons for the current project, or consider the changes as a 2.0
upgrade to the original project.

-Garrett

Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skit,

i agree with garrett about making too many changes at the moment

your project sounds very very exciting Smile

serge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skit,
My first post (lurking for a while now)

I think this is a very exciting project too, please keep going.

I hope there are no legal issues either.

I have only been using VDS for a short time and this is one of the most exciting projects I have seen.

Cheers

Matt
SnarlingSheep
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be something to check out:
http://www.winlike.com/

Dr. Dread
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. I get an "access denied" error in MSIE7, though. Line 1194, char 6.

Greetz
Dread

String.DLL * advanced string processing
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skit3000 wrote:
Before I will release an official version of this script -commercial or not- I will ask ED about it. Until that time, I don't think these beta versions can harm VDS in any way.

I agree. But if he says no when you do ask him, won't it have been to some extent a wasted effort?

Quote:
Do you think I should stick with the official VDS function names (like @fadd and @sum) or should I combine these floating point functions with there normal integer versions?

I think the commands and functions should be as compatible as possible with existing VDS code, so that people can copy and paste stuff from existing scripts. VDS uses separate functions for integer and floating point functions because parsing integers is much faster than parsing floating point numbers, so the interpreter can save time by only using the floating point parsing in those few functions.

Quote:
Right now, I use the javascript command window.open to create real browser windows which you can use with the "dialog" commands. Although I think this simulates real VDS scripts the best it can, there are some downsides about it. Popup blockers can block the windows. If a users closes the browser window, it will be closed right away without having the ability to cancel it. Also, "dialog show" will not work like with real VDS scripts. Another option is to use DHTML to create windows within the browser window. Downsides of this method are that I have to completely implement a DHTML dialog solution (which can take up a lot of time and which will use a lot of file size for the runtime javascript file ánd needs some custom images). Also, created dialogs will not show up in the taskbar like you are used from normal applications. Which of both methods do you think will be best?

Without consideration of the technical aspects of it, I would have thought that the most useful method from the point of view of using this to create web applications would be to have the first dialog created within the browser window, and subsequent ones as standalone dialogs. This would avoid possible conflicts with popup blockers, and avoid alarming users.

Quote:
If I am going the commercial way with this interpreter, how much would users like to pay for it?

If it was complete enough to implement functional applications, with the ability to read text files, store data and even interact with server side databases like MySQL then I'd happily pay $100 for it.

bbelcher
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very very cool. Great job skit!!

I really hope that CR doesn’t have any issues with things like this. It breaths new life to VDS and I would assume brings more attention to VDS as a whole.

"Hence more attention to the language = MORE SALES"

It certainly makes me more excited about it.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules wrote:
If it was complete enough to implement functional applications, with the ability to read text files, store data and even interact with server side databases like MySQL then I'd happily pay $100 for it.

Yeah, that sounds pretty good to me too.

-Garrett

Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jules wrote

Quote:
I agree. But if he says no when you do ask him, won't it have been to some extent a wasted effort?

i was thinking the same thing ... not wishing to be a wet blanket, i can't see CR approving it as it uses the exact same commands and functions as VDS ... mind you, if they gave the go ahead, then it would be fantastic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

if they don't give the go ahead, could a work around be that you change the @ to something else? would that be enough to make it 'legal'?

serge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: