forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Writing a VDS-DLL in VDS?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Writing a VDS-DLL in VDS? Reply with quote

Hi,

Is it possible to write a VDS-DLL in VDS? Because i need to write a DLL like program that can generate events and have functions and commands to control different external equipment, but needed to have only one main program because that has to be updated frequently on different machines with different equipment and so i don't have to worry what the controls for that equipment are because they are controlled by the DLL on that machine.

Bart
Hooligan
VDS Developer
VDS Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bart,

It sounds to me like what you want is a DSU. It.s sort of like a dll, but written entirely in VDS. A search of the forums on "dsu" should find you plenty of info on making them...

Hooligan

Why be normal?
Bart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as far as i understood is that a DSU compiled into the exe file, so i still need to compile for every different hardware setup a exe file and that is what i want to avoid.
jwfv
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DSU is a standalone file that you can reuse with as many executables as you want. So for instance, you might have 5 .exes running that are all calling functions from the same .dsu.
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try my Gateway DLL to simulate a VDS-DLL. Create one program which does the core functions and another one which acts like the GUI and use this DLL to call events. Smile

http://www.vdsworld.com/search.php?keywords=gateway

Bart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwfv wrote:
A DSU is a standalone file that you can reuse with as many executables as you want. So for instance, you might have 5 .exes running that are all calling functions from the same .dsu.

I tested it but the executable running without the original DSU on a computer so i assume the DSU is compiled into the EXE (correct me if i'am wrong)

@skit: I gonna look into it, thanks.
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a DSU is compiled into the EXE. It's more like a LIB or OBJ file in other languages, or a Delphi DCU.

It is not possible to create DLLs using VDS. VDS 6 will have the ability to create a number of different executable types, such as standalone runtime-free EXEs, console EXEs and NT Service EXEs, but the ability to create DLLs would have involved considerable extra work and it was deemed not worth the effort when compared to other things the time could be spent on.

jwfv
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I misunderstood your original question. Yes, a dsu is included in the script at compilation time. I thought you just wanted a single place to put reusable functions, and then include that dsu in all your programs. Sorry if I confused the issue -
Bart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skit, i tried gateway.dll but it crashes sometimes for no reason, mostly when sending a lot of data trough it in a short period of time, is this a known problem?
Bart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwfv wrote:
I think I misunderstood your original question. Yes, a dsu is included in the script at compilation time. I thought you just wanted a single place to put reusable functions, and then include that dsu in all your programs. Sorry if I confused the issue -

No prob, i never used DSU files before so now i know how they do there job Wink
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart wrote:
Skit, i tried gateway.dll but it crashes sometimes for no reason, mostly when sending a lot of data trough it in a short period of time, is this a known problem?

To be honest, I didn't really create the DLL myself Rolling Eyes I took the source code of Prakash' vdsmem DLL and changed some function names and added event support. I also don't know if it can have anything to do with VDS 5; not all DLLs which are created for previous version work without problems.

If you are sending a lot of data between the applications, another solution might be to set up an TCP/IP connection with localhost. Smile

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skit3000 wrote:
I also don't know if it can have anything to do with VDS 5; not all DLLs which are created for previous version work without problems.

I seem to remember there is a problem with the example Delphi code for creating a VDS extension. It passes a string result that is created on the stack. When compiled with Delphi 2 the same as the VDS runtime this didn't seem to matter but later versions of Delphi use a different memory manager. The solution is simply to ensure that the variable containing the result that you pass back is declared in the main program block not in the function itself.

vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jules & Skit,
There is an update to the Delphi extension template in the Articles section here at http://www.vdsworld.com/search.php?view_mode=fileinfo&file_id=6

However I doubt that the issue is anything to do with sending parameters. Most likely it is due to the size of the shared memory mappings that are being used in the Gateway.dll... You pobably need to limit the amount of data your sending or send memory addresses using the @addr() function in VDS. This way the data is not on the stack and is in heap memory. In most cases the stack for a single function is only 4096 characters. Keep your data below that and it will probably do ok. I am only speculating here and have not seen the source code of the DLL myself but if Skit used the code from a DLL that PGWare wrote then it should be compatible with VDS 5 since I remember him stating that all his DLL's were updated to work with VDS 5.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Skit3000
Admin Team

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote it before VDS 5 was released and lost the source code afterwards... Crying or Very sad
Bart
Valued Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skit3000 wrote:
If you are sending a lot of data between the applications, another solution might be to set up an TCP/IP connection with localhost. Smile

Sorry for the late response but thanks for the tip, i gonna try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> General Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: