forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MMC console and VDS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Help for VDS 5 & Up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: MMC console and VDS Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to integrate MMC based tools into a VDS app possibly with API or otherwise.

As an example WSUS 2.0 has a web base interface which I could use either of the browser dlls to show it in a VDS app. It seems now that WSUS 3.0 uses MMC 3.0 and it looks like several of Microsofts other network management apps are going to be using MMC also.

Has anyone looked into this before? Maybe even a GadgetX solution?

Thought I would check with all of you before going into deep research on the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Aslan
Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, am interested in this...

I need to be ablt to communicate with an MMC application...

tried DDE (Not working), is their any API's, can we use gadget ?

Nathan
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok MMC 3.0 uses dotNET and has dotNET classes. I don't know if it is backwards compatible with MMC 2.0 which used ActiveX? It will take me some time to figure out first if it is even possible to talk to MMC 3.0 from an external *.EXE. Second if MMC 3.0 has any other way to communicate other than dotNET.

In theory it is possible to access dotNET through GadgetX'es COM support through dotNET's COM inter-opt but I have yet to tackle this since it requires compiling assemblies and typelib's at the command line before you can even use the dotNET object/class. Also the information I have for this is dated information for dotNET 1.1 and 2.x... I have not found any documentation for dotNET 3.0 which would be needed to handle MMC 3.0 since it uses dotNET 3.0.

All I can say is I will do some research and let you know what is or is not possible.

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps the SDK's for DotNet 3.0 and MMC 3.0 are integrated into the new "Windows SDK".

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2B1E300-F358-4523-B479-F53D234CDCCF&displaylang=en
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslan,
Thanks for the link but I don't have Vista. I don't have a machine good enough to run it Sad

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aslan,
Here is a very simple way for using the .NET COM interopt.

http://www.dnzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=126

You will need the .NET framework installed to get the command line utilities at the bottom of the article. Warning not all of the .NET framework is COM compatible.

Give VDS a new purpose!
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonshere,

Thanks, I will look at the interop info you listed.

BTW - You should be able to run the SDK on XP as I am. Wink Just make sure you intall the .NET 3.0 framework first.

If you don't have XP let me know.
Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

We work close with a company who uses MMC and defined snapins for the MMC to redistribute a compiled MMC.

They are going to create a VDS compatible DLL to query and get information from the MMC.

I have sent them example source code of some dll's and given them links to here and vds, so hopefully they will get to grips with it.

I'll keep you informed on the progress

Nathan
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubes_sw wrote:
OK,
They are going to create a VDS compatible DLL to query and get information from the MMC.

I have sent them example source code of some dll's and given them links to here and vds, so hopefully they will get to grips with it.

Nathan,
I have looked at trying to build a VDS DLL with C# to try and link some .NET WinForms into VDS but I cannot find the directive to define an exported function as CDECL which is the C calling convention. This is required for the VDS External command to call the Init, CommandProc, FuncProc, and StatProc VDS DLL functions. If they get it to work will you share their solution with me? I just need the information of how to define these functions.
I have some C# code that makes it possible to dynamicly launch .NET classes and objects and it even allows you to pass C# code directly to the dynamic object similar to how GadgetX works with COM.

Give VDS a new purpose!
Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, i'll share

nathan
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan,
If I can make it work then VDS will be able to use any .Net class and not be limited to just MMC. ActiveX and COM is considered legacy now and many companies have already moved to either .NET, Java, and/or a variety of XML type languages. It would be easier to build .NET into VDS with C# than to try and use COM/.NET interopt. I am also going to check out Borland C# as an alternative to MicroSoft C# to see if it has a directive to export functions with the CDECL calling convention.

Anyway I will do what I can to come up with a solution for you on my end.

Give VDS a new purpose!
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rubes_sw wrote:

Are they using MMC 3.0 or 2.0?
Is this this going to be Freeware or other?

Way to go Rubes Dancing Banana
Aslan
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates???
Rubes_sw
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

sorry, these guys are really slow, i've been in contact with them and they say they are working on it... no so far no real progress. They have not even sent me a beta dll yet !

Regards
vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan,
To be very honest with you I did not expect them to be able too just churn out a VDS DLL just like that. I would think that it will take them between 3 to 6 months to be able to do this depending on how big their team is and how much knowledge their team has with dotNET, MMC 3.0, and older technology such as VDS DLL's.

Give VDS a new purpose!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Advanced Help for VDS 5 & Up All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: