forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning to Thunderbird/Mozilla based Email Clients..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Warning to Thunderbird/Mozilla based Email Clients.. Reply with quote

Today, after using Thunderbird for what seems like ever, I moved over to another email client.

I stumbled upon something that highly pisses me off while importing all my mailboxes from multiple accounts that I've had for eons now.... All these years, Thunderbird hasn't' been deleting my emails at all. When you delete and then empty the trash, thinking you've deleted the emails for good, they're not deleted at all, merely hidden from you and continue to build up forever, never being deleted from your mail box files at all.

In one email box alone for one account I have over 8000 emails that I deleted, but they were never deleted... Dating back to the year 2000. Now I have quite a job ahead of me going through multiple accounts and again deleting thousands upon thousands, years upon years worth of emails that should've been deleted long ago.

This issue may not seem like much to some, but to me, it's a oversight of epic portions in my book. When I delete something, it damn well better be deleted!

And I was wondering why Thunderbird was always kind of sluggish when using it. Could it be the huge mailboxes of years worth of undeleted emails that were suppose to have been deleted??? Noooooo.... /sarcasm off.

Anyway, if you use any Mozilla based Email Client, this likely is also something that has affected your email boxes.

I for one am so livid that I now refuse to use Thunderbird ever again. I may even drop Firefox since it's becoming a bloated pig now too and tossing junk in there that's useless.

Whatever happened to clean, small and usable software? that actually works as intended...

Well, I'm using Opera 9.5 now since it has a built in email client also. But I'm going to do a little test with it now too... Deleting all this old stuff again and then importing the email boxes from it to another email program to see if it actually deletes them or not also.

~Garrett

vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey look at it this way when you delete an email by mistake you can still recover it Twisted Evil

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trapper
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try compressing the mail folders. I believe this does permanently delete already 'deleted' messages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: