forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Icon Commander - Addon Tool for VDS 6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Icon Commander - Addon Tool for VDS 6 Reply with quote

Icon Commander

Description:
An icon explorer and browser addon tool for VDS which can generate the needed source code to use an icon from an exe or dll file in your VDS project.

Produces code for use within MENU and POPUP.

Requirements:
Visual DialogScript 6 (May work for VDS 5 also)

Listing:
http://www.vdsworld.com/search.php?view_mode=fileinfo&file_id=502

Download:
http://www.vdsworld.com/download.php?id=502

* Made for VDS 6, but may work in VDS 5. The installer installs to the VDS 6 directory and VDS 6 tools directory, so if you try to use this with VDS 5, you'll need to copy the files over from the created VDS 6 directories. This is a VDS 6 standard exectuable and does not include the VDS 6 runtime with it. So if you do try to use this for VDS 5 and do not have VDS 6, download the VDS 6 trial and get the runtime from there.

iconcmdrshot.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.63 KB
 Viewed:  2034 Time(s)

iconcmdrshot.gif

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to version 0.0.0.2 on 2 May, 2009

* Added code to freeze the VDS IDE while the code for the icon is sent, then unfreeze after data has been sent.

DaveR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I haven't installed it yet, it looks like a nice and easy way to use icons from Windows (and others) exes and dlls. Thanks.

PS I assume that you haven't used it in XP have you? It doesn't look as nice in XP - especially with the silver XP theme.

And why hard code the path to where you think VDS 6 is installed? What if someone has installed VDS 6 in 'E:\Programming\VDS6" etc instead of 'C:\Program Files\Visual Dialog Script 6"? If the install path defaulted to where VDS 6 (or VDS 5) was actually installed but was still user selectable then users who have both VDS 6 and VDS 5 installed could choose the Tools folder to install Icon Commander into. You can get the installation path from the registry (unless you already do?).

PPS I love that it shows you how many icons are each file. And that it only lists file types that contain icons. Very nice, thanks again.

Dave
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, can you take a screenshot of it under XP with the silver theme? I don't have XP anymore so can't test anything on XP.

The hardcoded install is because I'm using a new (well, new to me) install program called "Paquet Builder" which I'm not totally familiar with yet. So I'm still trying figure out how to use it where the user can select the VDS directory, and then I can add the "Tools" subdirectory after the user selects the VDS directory. I was previously using "BitRock InstallBuilder", which is very nice, but it's output files are a bit big for my tastes. It ends up producing setup files of near 2 mb or more, where as the Paquet Builder did the same thing at around 500 kb.

I'll try to do some more research on the installer thing and see if I can get that to be a user defined install.

Thanks,
~Garrett

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aight Dave, due to your prompting up there I looked further into the install thingy and was finally able to figure out what I needed to do. Now just select the directory where VDS is installed and let it rip. Still don't see how to read the registry with this installer thing though.
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use innosetup as it's a great installer - www.jrsoftware.org

You can use virtualization to run a copy of XP under Virtual PC that Microsoft provides for free (full version).

Download Virtual PC 2007: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=04D26402-3199-48A3-AFA2-2DC0B40A73B6&displaylang=en

Free XP virtual pc image with IE 6: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=21eabb90-958f-4b64-b5f1-73d0a413c8ef&displaylang=en
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could never find a good front end for setting up Inno scripts, and I never completed the front end I was working on.

PK, thanks for the pointer to the virt xp downloads there. That should come in handy.

DaveR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett wrote:
I could never find a good front end for setting up Inno scripts,

ISTool is perfect: http://www.istool.org/

Garrett wrote:
Hey, can you take a screenshot of it under XP with the silver theme?

Dave
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the screenie Dave.
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to version 0.0.1.3 on 4 May, 2009

* Fixed background color issue on icon browser window.

vdsalchemist
Admin Team

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett,
Why didn't you include *.icl files in this as well?

Give VDS a new purpose!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... Yes... why didn't I?....

Anybody want .ICL added to the files allowed to explore and browse?

DaveR
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems logical, seeing as quick google found that a few other icon exporers list .icl as supported file types (along with .exe, .dll and .ico). I can't remember ever seeing an icon library file. Hmm, I just searched my Program Files folder 20 icl files (1 in the VDS 6 folder).

Dave
Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Dave has spoken and ICL support there shall be! Smile

I don't see any need to add ICO support though since you can easily see ico files in the windows explorer itself. Any rebuttals regarding ico support? Obviously I'm open to doing whatever with this. In fact, I'll probably be releasing the source to it soon so anyone can do whatever with it.

BTW, thanks to DragonSphere for his help on this program. Without his help, I would not have been able to list the amount of icons in files.

Garrett
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I know why I didn't add icl support. Because every icl I tried will not properly display icons in the browser.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: