forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A game in VDS. Mission impossible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geicsge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:18 am    Post subject: A game in VDS. Mission impossible? Reply with quote

I can't truly convey to others what this forum means to me, what it meant in my life. I am 45 years old now, and I honestly regret that I did not interact more with the people here. This was a beautiful place.
Well, I'm not sure why I'm doing this now, perhaps because of that recent "happy holidays" message, and seeing some familiar nicknames, anyway, if there are still people following this forum, I will ask for help now, a total help if possible. Writing here now seems like a message put in a bottle and thrown into the ocean...
First, to briefly explain a long story, VDS is the only programming language I have enjoyed using and truly liked. Now, you could say that I wasn't a real programmer, which I admit to be the case. I preferred to create things quickly, not to learn programming for the sake of programming, which is a disadvantage in many cases. Although, I remember that a long time ago I programmed in Visual Basic for Excel and SQL databases, or websites with Php and MySql, or recent years LUA scripting for TableTop Simulator.
In a nutshell, I'm a resident of London, England. My formal IT job, which also included testing, disassembly, debugging, malware research, was forced to end years ago due to an accident and trauma. I was confined to a room like a prisoner for a few years, unable to move, operate a computer, even watch TV or read a few pages of a book. All of it was too much for my body and psyche. You never fully recover. While "recovering," at some point, I wrote and published two books, about trauma, anxiety, human ego, etc I also lost my right eye's vision due to excessive inflammation and a burst blood vessel, and I recognized that I would never be able to work a regular job again.
To get close to the end of the explanation, also as a form of therapy, in recent years I wanted to create a boardgame, a card game. I learned Photoshop, even video editing. Although everything it presents is obsolete, I'll show you a video I made by myself a few years ago, entirely my design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqzWiCYsyvA
I hope it will entertain you, and get an idea about my ideas, lol. Anyway, even if I wasn't 100% satisfied with the gameplay, I was dreaming of Kickstarter. And then Covid came. Game over, problem "solved". Covid and the whole situation affected me, old symptoms returned, I fought again, this time with experience. So, now, about my game... is this another failed project, after quite a lot of work?
I realized that a physical/card board game limits your creativity somehow, and that actually I wanted to have a video game, for Steam for example. I have tons of graphics created by me that I can use/recycle, and many ideas. So, I want to make some kind of card battler now, an unusual one. The problem is, of course, the execution. I spent some time exploring various programming languages or solutions like "game makers". Honestly, I realized that I have no more patience, they are all absolutely terrible, I won't go into details. Recently, like in a trance, I started putting my ideas together in VDS. I know we live now in the world of AI where ChatGPT programs for you in whatever language you want. Well, I noticed it is not so simple. Anyway, I want to make a Steam game in VDS, a ridiculous idea you will say. At least I want to see how far I can go, lol.
Now, first of all, I want to ask for your help directly. I have and use DLLs such as STRING, VDSDLL3, VDSOBJ, etc. Therefore, I would like to ask you to provide me with your DSC samples and dynamic link libraries, please. I learn by doing and from examples. I think you get the idea, I want to see all the possibilities I have, especially on the graphic display side. Then, it is good to know if anyone wants to actively participate in this project, in any way. Why would you do that? I don't know, maybe because it's crazy. Will this be as cool as Marvel Snap for example? Who knows, maybe, lol. So, any idea or proposal or suggestion you have, I will listen.
Anyway, at least please tell me if you guys would follow the evolution of my project here, even the gameplay testing, etc. I am old, I have peace of mind, and a lot of free time forced by circumstances.
My social media:
https://www.instagram.com/georgealexandrudragoi/
https://www.facebook.com/dragoiga/

BTW, I also like the minimalist style, in terms of graphics. My favorite Steam game is Nova Drift. If you haven't tried it, play it, the gameplay is brilliant. Yes, Asteroids like, but I had never played a game in my life that did not reveal all the mysteries of the game mechanics even after months of continuous play.
PGWARE
Web Host

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

I hope you are doing better, sorry you have been through so much but I like your spirit and desire to try to build something new. Making games is fun - I know you want to build it in VDS and this type of game is very possible. You will have to make your own animations and its really about moving the images by x/y coordinates - this is generally much easier in wpf/c# and game engines as they have built in animations that do almost all the work for you - they are also multithreaded and will not halt execution while doing animations. Try Unity game engine, its easy to use and uses c# as one of its languages - fairly easy to learn.

It's possible in VDS of course but its more work but I would suggest doing basic gameplay first then trying to add the animations and sounds in. Simple images, clicks and display the results. After that try to incorporate animations, sound and music.

I really liked your youtube video, it is well made and shows you have a passion to build this.

I wish I had time to help you, me 20 years ago would have jumped at the chance. Now I work a job and trying to build a couple businesses and its hard to have free time - a social life eludes me Smile

Keep posting your progress - we all would love to see how far you get. The best way to start is - break your project up into smaller pieces, set smaller goals and try to stay on target, set a daily goal and try to hit those. If you need help just ask here and we can give some high level ideas.
marcelo
Contributor
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. How nice to hear from someone who has such an interest in VDS. I always try to do all my projects in this user-friendly language, which I find to be the simplest I have ever tried in my life, but that does not make it less powerful. I only turn to other languages when I can't complete my needs in it.
I would love to help in the creation of the game. If you are willing to start sharing ideas, code and other things, I would be very pleased to help in any way I can.
Count on me for that!!

Sorry for my English.

Marcelo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: