forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index forum.vdsworld.com
Visit VDSWORLD.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USE WINE TO PORT VDS PROGGIES TO LINUX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow...i certainly didn't intend to get such feedback from my post...thanks to all of you for your comments

can i clarify my initial querry...i would like to be able to run the vds ide under windows and have the option to compile my code from within my windows ide to other operating system...i understand that i won't be able to run the final compiled program under windows but that would be ok...i guess that there would be problems with the fat system that windows uses...i don't fancy running linux and then having to rewrite the code under vds for linux just to compile it under linux...does that make sense?

serge

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hortalonus wrote:
mindpower wrote:
BTW I think it is awesome that you are posting to the VDS forum Smile If no one else has said it I want to be the first to say thank you so much for taking the time to answer our questions about VDS. It has been very educational and good for me to get your input about VDS.

Here, here! Thank you Jules! Very Happy

Yes, thank you Jules! It is great that you take time to post here and answer our questions. It is greatly appreciated!! Very Happy

- Mark
Serge
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes...ditto for such lengthy and informative replies Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

serge

Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be here. Smile However, Commercial Research isn't always happy with the frankness of some of my posts, which is why it is necessary for me to state from time to time that any opinions that I may express here are my own.
jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
While we are on the subject is there any chance of a dotNET version of VDS or at least the ability to use OLE/COM with the language someday or something similar to these M$ technologies?

I'm glad you brought that up, because I was looking for an opportunity to raise the subject.

While it isn't something that I'm able to offer any information on at the moment, it certainly seems to me to be something it will be very important for us to look at when considering future versions of VDS, and will arguably be a lot more important than considering porting VDS to Linux. The disadvantage of .NET at the moment is that the framework is a 100MB download and most computers don't already have it, which would probably put most people off downloading your app. But in a couple of years time the situation may be different.

As for OLE/COM, to be honest I've been surprised that there hasn't been more demand from users for VDS to support it. That's the main reason it hasn't been done, the other being (again) that it would be quite hard to implement using VDS syntax. It would be much easier to write an extension DLL that used a specific COM interface, such as Microsoft Office components, for instance, than to provide a generic COM interface within VDS itself.

CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all Jules thanks Thumbs Up Very Happy for taking time to reply here so informatively.
I thought of asking about ActiveX/OLE/COM support but thought it would be too much.
Even I don't know much about this but it can be real powerful accessing evrything as an object.
I wish that it would nice in far future if VDS incorporates a different syntax to write these components and compile them so that they can be used as a include component so that many things can be achieved . This can thus be done without complicating the base syntax of VDS for a entry level user while an advanced user can find his way through the codewoods to accomplish things making VDS a real complete language by itself.
This will give possiblities of accessing virtually anything in windows, creating custom controls etc etc.
I know this is not at all a easy task to accomplish and can only considered on a long term basis.
Also multithreading is another area of interest. While multithreading makes debugging etc difficult it is very useful in advanced scripts to avoid putting up everything under a timer which is not always possible.

Regards

jules
Professional Member
Professional Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically COM would be very difficult because it requires typed variables (Variant type). Although APIs require variables to be different types, it isn't the same, because you just pass a pointer to a bit of memory and rely on the programmer to get the type correct (as any of you who have been using the @LIB function will know. Very Happy )
The ability to spawn a copy of a script in a separate thread is certainly something I'm keen to see in VDS, because it would allow the development of server applications. How debugging would be handled I'm not sure, though.

CodeScript
Moderator Team

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some similar development softwares are planning linux support(already windows/mac crossplatform compatible). I don't mean anything other than plain info :
http://realbasic.com/company/pressreleases/linuxAnnounce.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    forum.vdsworld.com Forum Index -> Other Product Support/Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: